Sep 20, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
About a week ago, we tried to translate the NHL’s listed rule book changes into plain English. Luckily, the league is being a bit more proactive as the 2010-11 season rapidly approaches, as you can see from this video that was sent to all 30 teams.
(I guess someone in the league office is still knee-deep in the “nu metal” era …)
The video’s focus was on the NHL’s renewed emphasis on hits to the head. If you’d rather not click on the video (maybe you’re worried about playing one at work?), here is a quick description of the alterations via NHL.com.
Following is the language for Rule 48 as it relates to the upcoming preseason and regular season:
48.1 Illegal Check to the Head– A lateral or blind side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principle point of contact is not permitted.
48.2 Minor Penalty– There is no provision for a minor penalty for this rule.
48.3 Major Penalty– For a violation of this rule, a major penalty shall be assessed (see 48.4).
48.4 Game Misconduct– An automatic game misconduct penalty shall be assessed whenever a major penalty is assessed under this rule.
48.5 Match Penalty– The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent with an illegal check to the head.
48.6 Fines and Suspensions– Any player who incurs a total of two (2) game misconducts under this rule, in either regular League or playoff games, shall be suspended automatically for the next game his team plays. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game
If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).
Considering all of the expanding research on concussions (Bob Costas discussed the disturbing new findings about brain injuries during the “Manning
Bloodbath Bowl” last night, in fact), it’s heartening to see the league take some steps to cut down on dangerous hits.
There is a fine line between protecting players and sapping the natural brutality from a contact sport; let’s hope the league finds the correct balance.
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 4
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 9
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 36
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)