Sep 20, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
The New York Rangers just announced that captain and highly paid center Chris Drury broke “a finger” during a Monday morning scrimmage and will miss a month.
#NYR captain Chris Drury broke a finger in this morning’s scrimmage and will miss 4 weeks of action
It’s nearly impossible to discuss anything about Drury without mentioning his massively bloated contract* which includes a ludicrous annual cap hit of $7.05 million and overall terms of 5 years, $35.25 million. You can throw all of the “intangibles” talk at me, but come on, there’s no way to say that hustle and character justify paying that kind of money to a player who scored only 32 points while registering a -10 rating last season.
* I’m also required to gripe about the fact that people constantly bring up his run in the Little League World Series. It’s part of the Snarky Bloggers Oath, actually.
Obviously, an injury that will only cost him a few weeks of the regular season (maybe a month if it lingers longer than the team reports) won’t give the Rangers much in the way of long-term cap relief, though. In fact, one scary scenario would be that Glen Sather decides to back up his “talent decides the roster, not money” talk by keeping Wade Redden on the NHL roster because Drury’s cap hit won’t register until he returns.
That nightmare situation isn’t highly likely, though, so step off that ledge, Rangers fans.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)