Sep 20, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
The New York Rangers just announced that captain and highly paid center Chris Drury broke “a finger” during a Monday morning scrimmage and will miss a month.
#NYR captain Chris Drury broke a finger in this morning’s scrimmage and will miss 4 weeks of action
It’s nearly impossible to discuss anything about Drury without mentioning his massively bloated contract* which includes a ludicrous annual cap hit of $7.05 million and overall terms of 5 years, $35.25 million. You can throw all of the “intangibles” talk at me, but come on, there’s no way to say that hustle and character justify paying that kind of money to a player who scored only 32 points while registering a -10 rating last season.
* I’m also required to gripe about the fact that people constantly bring up his run in the Little League World Series. It’s part of the Snarky Bloggers Oath, actually.
Obviously, an injury that will only cost him a few weeks of the regular season (maybe a month if it lingers longer than the team reports) won’t give the Rangers much in the way of long-term cap relief, though. In fact, one scary scenario would be that Glen Sather decides to back up his “talent decides the roster, not money” talk by keeping Wade Redden on the NHL roster because Drury’s cap hit won’t register until he returns.
That nightmare situation isn’t highly likely, though, so step off that ledge, Rangers fans.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 6
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 11
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 49
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 104
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)