Sep 20, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
The New York Rangers just announced that captain and highly paid center Chris Drury broke “a finger” during a Monday morning scrimmage and will miss a month.
#NYR captain Chris Drury broke a finger in this morning’s scrimmage and will miss 4 weeks of action
It’s nearly impossible to discuss anything about Drury without mentioning his massively bloated contract* which includes a ludicrous annual cap hit of $7.05 million and overall terms of 5 years, $35.25 million. You can throw all of the “intangibles” talk at me, but come on, there’s no way to say that hustle and character justify paying that kind of money to a player who scored only 32 points while registering a -10 rating last season.
* I’m also required to gripe about the fact that people constantly bring up his run in the Little League World Series. It’s part of the Snarky Bloggers Oath, actually.
Obviously, an injury that will only cost him a few weeks of the regular season (maybe a month if it lingers longer than the team reports) won’t give the Rangers much in the way of long-term cap relief, though. In fact, one scary scenario would be that Glen Sather decides to back up his “talent decides the roster, not money” talk by keeping Wade Redden on the NHL roster because Drury’s cap hit won’t register until he returns.
That nightmare situation isn’t highly likely, though, so step off that ledge, Rangers fans.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)