Sep 20, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
The New York Rangers just announced that captain and highly paid center Chris Drury broke “a finger” during a Monday morning scrimmage and will miss a month.
#NYR captain Chris Drury broke a finger in this morning’s scrimmage and will miss 4 weeks of action
It’s nearly impossible to discuss anything about Drury without mentioning his massively bloated contract* which includes a ludicrous annual cap hit of $7.05 million and overall terms of 5 years, $35.25 million. You can throw all of the “intangibles” talk at me, but come on, there’s no way to say that hustle and character justify paying that kind of money to a player who scored only 32 points while registering a -10 rating last season.
* I’m also required to gripe about the fact that people constantly bring up his run in the Little League World Series. It’s part of the Snarky Bloggers Oath, actually.
Obviously, an injury that will only cost him a few weeks of the regular season (maybe a month if it lingers longer than the team reports) won’t give the Rangers much in the way of long-term cap relief, though. In fact, one scary scenario would be that Glen Sather decides to back up his “talent decides the roster, not money” talk by keeping Wade Redden on the NHL roster because Drury’s cap hit won’t register until he returns.
That nightmare situation isn’t highly likely, though, so step off that ledge, Rangers fans.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 1
- A taste of revenge? Blackhawks deal blow to Kings’ playoff hopes 7
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6