Sep 19, 2010, 12:09 PM EST
The leg injury suffered by Senators defenseman Filip Kuba during training camp yesterday has been diagnosed and the news isn’t good for Ottawa. General manager Bryan Murray announced that Kuba has a broken leg and will be out at least five-to-six weeks.
Kuba is a key player on the Sens blueline in that he’s got a big shot and is important to their power play units. With Sergei Gonchar now in Ottawa, this blow doesn’t hurt quite as bad as it would’ve otherwise, but it’s still significant. In-house candidates to fill in for Kuba in the meantime include Brian Lee and prospect Jared Cowen. Chris Campoli will also likely see his ice time increase with Kuba out.
Expect, but don’t believe, the hype to begin about Sheldon Souray going to Ottawa to help stem the tide of losing Kuba. I say to not believe it because Kuba will likely just miss the first month of the season and there’s no way that adding Souray and his contract to the roster does anything to help Ottawa.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 51
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (51)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)