Sep 19, 2010, 12:09 PM EDT
The leg injury suffered by Senators defenseman Filip Kuba during training camp yesterday has been diagnosed and the news isn’t good for Ottawa. General manager Bryan Murray announced that Kuba has a broken leg and will be out at least five-to-six weeks.
Kuba is a key player on the Sens blueline in that he’s got a big shot and is important to their power play units. With Sergei Gonchar now in Ottawa, this blow doesn’t hurt quite as bad as it would’ve otherwise, but it’s still significant. In-house candidates to fill in for Kuba in the meantime include Brian Lee and prospect Jared Cowen. Chris Campoli will also likely see his ice time increase with Kuba out.
Expect, but don’t believe, the hype to begin about Sheldon Souray going to Ottawa to help stem the tide of losing Kuba. I say to not believe it because Kuba will likely just miss the first month of the season and there’s no way that adding Souray and his contract to the roster does anything to help Ottawa.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 9
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 51
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (51)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)