Sep 19, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
It’s amazing how much ink has been spilled regarding a captaincy that actually wasn’t, you know, “official.”
Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo won’t be wearing that “C” on his mask as he relinquished the role for next season and there’s been plenty of speculation about who could be the new captain. Some wonder if it will be Hart Trophy winner Henrik Sedin, even if you would assume that he isn’t the most “vocal” leader. Others think Ryan Kesler would be worthy of the nod because he’s a Selke nominee and a great two-way player overall.
Now, this is clearly labeled as a rumor, but Canucks blog Nucks Misconduct points to an “inside source” who said that the team already decided to name Henrik Sedin their captain.
We are hearing from an inside source that the Canucks have already decided that Henrik Sedin will be the next Canucks captain. No announcement was projected to be made until preseason. We’ll see if this rumor comes to fruition.
Again, this is far from shocking, but it’s a sensible conclusion. The odds seemed to be in Henrik’s favor, but we will need to wait and see what happens as October 7 approaches.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)