Sep 19, 2010, 9:30 PM EST
It’s amazing how much ink has been spilled regarding a captaincy that actually wasn’t, you know, “official.”
Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo won’t be wearing that “C” on his mask as he relinquished the role for next season and there’s been plenty of speculation about who could be the new captain. Some wonder if it will be Hart Trophy winner Henrik Sedin, even if you would assume that he isn’t the most “vocal” leader. Others think Ryan Kesler would be worthy of the nod because he’s a Selke nominee and a great two-way player overall.
Now, this is clearly labeled as a rumor, but Canucks blog Nucks Misconduct points to an “inside source” who said that the team already decided to name Henrik Sedin their captain.
We are hearing from an inside source that the Canucks have already decided that Henrik Sedin will be the next Canucks captain. No announcement was projected to be made until preseason. We’ll see if this rumor comes to fruition.
Again, this is far from shocking, but it’s a sensible conclusion. The odds seemed to be in Henrik’s favor, but we will need to wait and see what happens as October 7 approaches.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 35
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 55
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)