Sep 19, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
It’s amazing how much ink has been spilled regarding a captaincy that actually wasn’t, you know, “official.”
Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo won’t be wearing that “C” on his mask as he relinquished the role for next season and there’s been plenty of speculation about who could be the new captain. Some wonder if it will be Hart Trophy winner Henrik Sedin, even if you would assume that he isn’t the most “vocal” leader. Others think Ryan Kesler would be worthy of the nod because he’s a Selke nominee and a great two-way player overall.
Now, this is clearly labeled as a rumor, but Canucks blog Nucks Misconduct points to an “inside source” who said that the team already decided to name Henrik Sedin their captain.
We are hearing from an inside source that the Canucks have already decided that Henrik Sedin will be the next Canucks captain. No announcement was projected to be made until preseason. We’ll see if this rumor comes to fruition.
Again, this is far from shocking, but it’s a sensible conclusion. The odds seemed to be in Henrik’s favor, but we will need to wait and see what happens as October 7 approaches.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 50
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50