Sep 19, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
It’s amazing how much ink has been spilled regarding a captaincy that actually wasn’t, you know, “official.”
Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo won’t be wearing that “C” on his mask as he relinquished the role for next season and there’s been plenty of speculation about who could be the new captain. Some wonder if it will be Hart Trophy winner Henrik Sedin, even if you would assume that he isn’t the most “vocal” leader. Others think Ryan Kesler would be worthy of the nod because he’s a Selke nominee and a great two-way player overall.
Now, this is clearly labeled as a rumor, but Canucks blog Nucks Misconduct points to an “inside source” who said that the team already decided to name Henrik Sedin their captain.
We are hearing from an inside source that the Canucks have already decided that Henrik Sedin will be the next Canucks captain. No announcement was projected to be made until preseason. We’ll see if this rumor comes to fruition.
Again, this is far from shocking, but it’s a sensible conclusion. The odds seemed to be in Henrik’s favor, but we will need to wait and see what happens as October 7 approaches.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 0
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)