Sep 19, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
Training camp is an opportunity to meet new teammates, learn new systems and maybe shake off some rust. Sometimes, you might pull a groin muscle or suffer some other minor injury in that rust-shaking process.
The Colorado Avalanche dealt with a couple minor injuries on Sunday, with an element of their present (defenseman Kyle Cumiskey) and one with more to prove for the future (2010 first round pick Joey Hishon) leaving practice early. NHL.com shares the news for both players.
Joey Hishon, the Colorado Avalanche’s first-round pick (No. 17) in the 2010 Entry Draft, sustained a hand injury of an undetermined nature during a scrimmage Sunday and didn’t return.
Defenseman Kyle Cumiskey suffered what Sacco called a “slight groin strain” and also left the ice at the South Suburban Family Sports Center.
I say that Hishon is more likely to be part of the team’s future, but you never know. Matt Duchene, Ryan O’Reilly and T.J. Galliardi made immediate impacts in their first full seasons with the team in 2009-10. The Avs produced a surprise run to the playoffs last year, but they didn’t really add much talent over the off-season, so it’s not impossible for Hishon to fight for a spot. (It’s unlikely, but again, the Avs were the masters of the unlikely last season.)
One thing is clear: staying healthy would increase his chances substantially, though.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)