Sep 19, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
Training camp is an opportunity to meet new teammates, learn new systems and maybe shake off some rust. Sometimes, you might pull a groin muscle or suffer some other minor injury in that rust-shaking process.
The Colorado Avalanche dealt with a couple minor injuries on Sunday, with an element of their present (defenseman Kyle Cumiskey) and one with more to prove for the future (2010 first round pick Joey Hishon) leaving practice early. NHL.com shares the news for both players.
Joey Hishon, the Colorado Avalanche’s first-round pick (No. 17) in the 2010 Entry Draft, sustained a hand injury of an undetermined nature during a scrimmage Sunday and didn’t return.
Defenseman Kyle Cumiskey suffered what Sacco called a “slight groin strain” and also left the ice at the South Suburban Family Sports Center.
I say that Hishon is more likely to be part of the team’s future, but you never know. Matt Duchene, Ryan O’Reilly and T.J. Galliardi made immediate impacts in their first full seasons with the team in 2009-10. The Avs produced a surprise run to the playoffs last year, but they didn’t really add much talent over the off-season, so it’s not impossible for Hishon to fight for a spot. (It’s unlikely, but again, the Avs were the masters of the unlikely last season.)
One thing is clear: staying healthy would increase his chances substantially, though.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)