Sep 19, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
Training camp is an opportunity to meet new teammates, learn new systems and maybe shake off some rust. Sometimes, you might pull a groin muscle or suffer some other minor injury in that rust-shaking process.
The Colorado Avalanche dealt with a couple minor injuries on Sunday, with an element of their present (defenseman Kyle Cumiskey) and one with more to prove for the future (2010 first round pick Joey Hishon) leaving practice early. NHL.com shares the news for both players.
Joey Hishon, the Colorado Avalanche’s first-round pick (No. 17) in the 2010 Entry Draft, sustained a hand injury of an undetermined nature during a scrimmage Sunday and didn’t return.
Defenseman Kyle Cumiskey suffered what Sacco called a “slight groin strain” and also left the ice at the South Suburban Family Sports Center.
I say that Hishon is more likely to be part of the team’s future, but you never know. Matt Duchene, Ryan O’Reilly and T.J. Galliardi made immediate impacts in their first full seasons with the team in 2009-10. The Avs produced a surprise run to the playoffs last year, but they didn’t really add much talent over the off-season, so it’s not impossible for Hishon to fight for a spot. (It’s unlikely, but again, the Avs were the masters of the unlikely last season.)
One thing is clear: staying healthy would increase his chances substantially, though.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Getting clutch? Capitals reportedly sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 8
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 21
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)