Sep 19, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
Training camp is an opportunity to meet new teammates, learn new systems and maybe shake off some rust. Sometimes, you might pull a groin muscle or suffer some other minor injury in that rust-shaking process.
The Colorado Avalanche dealt with a couple minor injuries on Sunday, with an element of their present (defenseman Kyle Cumiskey) and one with more to prove for the future (2010 first round pick Joey Hishon) leaving practice early. NHL.com shares the news for both players.
Joey Hishon, the Colorado Avalanche’s first-round pick (No. 17) in the 2010 Entry Draft, sustained a hand injury of an undetermined nature during a scrimmage Sunday and didn’t return.
Defenseman Kyle Cumiskey suffered what Sacco called a “slight groin strain” and also left the ice at the South Suburban Family Sports Center.
I say that Hishon is more likely to be part of the team’s future, but you never know. Matt Duchene, Ryan O’Reilly and T.J. Galliardi made immediate impacts in their first full seasons with the team in 2009-10. The Avs produced a surprise run to the playoffs last year, but they didn’t really add much talent over the off-season, so it’s not impossible for Hishon to fight for a spot. (It’s unlikely, but again, the Avs were the masters of the unlikely last season.)
One thing is clear: staying healthy would increase his chances substantially, though.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 0
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 4
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 22
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)