Sep 19, 2010, 11:00 PM EST
Training camp is an opportunity to meet new teammates, learn new systems and maybe shake off some rust. Sometimes, you might pull a groin muscle or suffer some other minor injury in that rust-shaking process.
The Colorado Avalanche dealt with a couple minor injuries on Sunday, with an element of their present (defenseman Kyle Cumiskey) and one with more to prove for the future (2010 first round pick Joey Hishon) leaving practice early. NHL.com shares the news for both players.
Joey Hishon, the Colorado Avalanche’s first-round pick (No. 17) in the 2010 Entry Draft, sustained a hand injury of an undetermined nature during a scrimmage Sunday and didn’t return.
Defenseman Kyle Cumiskey suffered what Sacco called a “slight groin strain” and also left the ice at the South Suburban Family Sports Center.
I say that Hishon is more likely to be part of the team’s future, but you never know. Matt Duchene, Ryan O’Reilly and T.J. Galliardi made immediate impacts in their first full seasons with the team in 2009-10. The Avs produced a surprise run to the playoffs last year, but they didn’t really add much talent over the off-season, so it’s not impossible for Hishon to fight for a spot. (It’s unlikely, but again, the Avs were the masters of the unlikely last season.)
One thing is clear: staying healthy would increase his chances substantially, though.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)