Sep 19, 2010, 10:42 AM EDT
In New Jersey, \it’s time to break out the Peaches and Herb song, “Reunited” for the kind of nostalgic thing going on with Patrick Elias and Jason Arnott. The pairing clicked together amazingly well ten seasons ago in New Jersey, even teaming up together on the Devils Stanley Cup-winning goal in 2000. In those playoffs, the two of them lead New Jersey in scoring with 20 points a piece.
Now with Arnott back in New Jersey, the two are looking to rekindle that chemistry they had so many seasons ago and they couldn’t be happier to get another go-round as Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice finds out.
“It felt great,” Arnott said. “It doesn’t feel like it’s been that long. It doesn’t feel like it’s been eight years since we’ve played together. So, it felt good. It felt comfortable. We’re still having fun and it’s still the first day. We’ll see what happens during the games.”
At Elias’ request, Arnott’s stall is next to his in the practice locker room. [Petr] Sykora is out of the league right now. Elias said he texted Sykora “a couple of times” recently when there were rumors the Devils might invite him to camp as tryout. Although he had some offers from teams in Russia, Sykora is still back in the Czech Republic, working out there.
I’m no authority on what does and does not constitute a “bromance” but I think this is pretty much what it looks like. Getting chemistry, even that of guys that haven’t played together since 2001-2002, is huge for the Devils. Last year during the playoffs, lines didn’t seem to be clicking the way they seemed to during the season and that paired up with the Flyers tough defense lead to the Devils getting bounced out in the first round.
If Arnott and Elias can rekindle that old spirit and light a fire under potential linemate Jamie Langenbrunner, the Devils could end up with two offensive units that can fill the net in a big way. With Zach Parise, Travis Zajac, and Ilya Kovalchuk working together to start training camp, it’s OK to start dreaming big in New Jersey.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5