Sep 18, 2010, 5:15 PM EST
This already was a not-so-great summer for Ottawa Senators defenseman Filip Kuba.
Though he’s never been much more than a decent powerplay quarterback, Kuba was useful (especially in fantasy leagues) because the Senators had few other options in that role since they lost Zdeno Chara and (don’t laugh) Wade Redden. Erik Karlsson was an impressive addition to that equation in his rookie year, but the real killer for Kuba’s relevance was the signing of point man extraordinaire Sergei Gonchar.
Things got even worse for Kuba this weekend, though, as the blueliner reportedly injured his “leg” in training camp, according to TSN.
Defenceman Filip Kuba was forced to leave the ice during during a Group 2 practice after his skate got caught in a rut causing a leg injury.
Head coach Cory Clouston was unsure of the extent of the injury, only that Kuba was taken to a local hospital where he would undergo x-rays and further examination.
“We had to play a lot without him last year, and obviously we may have to start the season without him again,” Clouston told reporters following practice.
Should Kuba miss any extended period it would be a real hit to the Senators defence corps who lost both Anton Volchenckov and Andy Sutton to free agency in the off-season.
The 33-year old Kuba was has been recovering from off-season back surgery that caused him to miss the final 11 games of the season and all six of the Senators playoff contests. He finished last season with three goals and 25 assists in 53 games.
This isn’t great news for the Senators, but it’s an especially tough break for Kuba. We’ll update you when the team has a better idea about the extent of his injury.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 150
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (151)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)