Sep 18, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
This already was a not-so-great summer for Ottawa Senators defenseman Filip Kuba.
Though he’s never been much more than a decent powerplay quarterback, Kuba was useful (especially in fantasy leagues) because the Senators had few other options in that role since they lost Zdeno Chara and (don’t laugh) Wade Redden. Erik Karlsson was an impressive addition to that equation in his rookie year, but the real killer for Kuba’s relevance was the signing of point man extraordinaire Sergei Gonchar.
Things got even worse for Kuba this weekend, though, as the blueliner reportedly injured his “leg” in training camp, according to TSN.
Defenceman Filip Kuba was forced to leave the ice during during a Group 2 practice after his skate got caught in a rut causing a leg injury.
Head coach Cory Clouston was unsure of the extent of the injury, only that Kuba was taken to a local hospital where he would undergo x-rays and further examination.
“We had to play a lot without him last year, and obviously we may have to start the season without him again,” Clouston told reporters following practice.
Should Kuba miss any extended period it would be a real hit to the Senators defence corps who lost both Anton Volchenckov and Andy Sutton to free agency in the off-season.
The 33-year old Kuba was has been recovering from off-season back surgery that caused him to miss the final 11 games of the season and all six of the Senators playoff contests. He finished last season with three goals and 25 assists in 53 games.
This isn’t great news for the Senators, but it’s an especially tough break for Kuba. We’ll update you when the team has a better idea about the extent of his injury.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 2
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 11
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13