Sep 18, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
This already was a not-so-great summer for Ottawa Senators defenseman Filip Kuba.
Though he’s never been much more than a decent powerplay quarterback, Kuba was useful (especially in fantasy leagues) because the Senators had few other options in that role since they lost Zdeno Chara and (don’t laugh) Wade Redden. Erik Karlsson was an impressive addition to that equation in his rookie year, but the real killer for Kuba’s relevance was the signing of point man extraordinaire Sergei Gonchar.
Things got even worse for Kuba this weekend, though, as the blueliner reportedly injured his “leg” in training camp, according to TSN.
Defenceman Filip Kuba was forced to leave the ice during during a Group 2 practice after his skate got caught in a rut causing a leg injury.
Head coach Cory Clouston was unsure of the extent of the injury, only that Kuba was taken to a local hospital where he would undergo x-rays and further examination.
“We had to play a lot without him last year, and obviously we may have to start the season without him again,” Clouston told reporters following practice.
Should Kuba miss any extended period it would be a real hit to the Senators defence corps who lost both Anton Volchenckov and Andy Sutton to free agency in the off-season.
The 33-year old Kuba was has been recovering from off-season back surgery that caused him to miss the final 11 games of the season and all six of the Senators playoff contests. He finished last season with three goals and 25 assists in 53 games.
This isn’t great news for the Senators, but it’s an especially tough break for Kuba. We’ll update you when the team has a better idea about the extent of his injury.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)