Sep 18, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
When a team pays you $100 million, you learn to be flexible.
Ilya Kovalchuk is doing just that, as rumors of the New Jersey Devils playing Zach Parise and Patrik Elias in their typical left wing spots might have some validity – at least so far – now that Kovalchuk is currently playing at right wing. TSN shared the news from the Devils’ first practice.
During the New Jersey Devils’ first practice of the season, new coach John MacLean moved the 27-year-old All-Star from left wing to right wing, playing him with Zach Parise and Travis Zajac on a line that has the potential to score a lot of goals.
Kovalchuk downplayed the move, but he liked the idea of playing with Parise and Zajac. He also noted that forwards in hockey today move around round so much that the positions are sometimes interchangeable.
However they align the forwards, a Parise-Zajac-Kovalchuk line could be outrageously dangerous. A lot can change between training camps and the regular season (not to mention how often NHL coaches tweak their line combos from game to game), but it’s promising that Kovalchuk seems OK with adjusting to the team’s changes.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)