Sep 18, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
When a team pays you $100 million, you learn to be flexible.
Ilya Kovalchuk is doing just that, as rumors of the New Jersey Devils playing Zach Parise and Patrik Elias in their typical left wing spots might have some validity – at least so far – now that Kovalchuk is currently playing at right wing. TSN shared the news from the Devils’ first practice.
During the New Jersey Devils’ first practice of the season, new coach John MacLean moved the 27-year-old All-Star from left wing to right wing, playing him with Zach Parise and Travis Zajac on a line that has the potential to score a lot of goals.
Kovalchuk downplayed the move, but he liked the idea of playing with Parise and Zajac. He also noted that forwards in hockey today move around round so much that the positions are sometimes interchangeable.
However they align the forwards, a Parise-Zajac-Kovalchuk line could be outrageously dangerous. A lot can change between training camps and the regular season (not to mention how often NHL coaches tweak their line combos from game to game), but it’s promising that Kovalchuk seems OK with adjusting to the team’s changes.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 4
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 33
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)