Sep 18, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
When healthy, Andrei Markov has been one of the best offensive defensemen in the NHL. Unfortunately, injuries greatly hampered the Montreal Canadiens blueliner last season. He only played 45 games in 09-10 and then a Matt Cooke hit caused his current knee problems.
Markov won’t be with his teammates this morning when training camp begins in Brossard with practice and scrimmage. Instead, he’ll be back in the gym, his tedious Brossard home, then skating gently, with supervision, on his own.
“I’d like to come back tomorrow, but it’s not possible yet,” Markov said yesterday. “I’m doing my best and I’m happy with my rehab. I can do different things on the ice. My knee feels a little weak, but it’s getting stronger every day.”
He’s circled no date on the calendar for his return to action, or even to practice with the team.
“Maybe another month,” he said. “Maybe more, maybe less.”
It sounds like Markov might not be able to begin the regular season with the Habs, which is rough news for a team that could use his veteran presence now that Carey Price is going to face a lot of pressure after Jaroslav Halak’s sensational playoff run.
Let’s hope that the dangling carrot of unrestricted free agency doesn’t tempt Markov to rush back too soon, though. The 31-year-old defenseman is in position to sign the last contract of his “prime years” once his current deal expires after this season, but knee injuries are very serious so he – and the Canadiens – need to tread lightly. We’ll let you know if he makes any progress or gives a more tangible time frame for his return.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)