Sep 17, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
The redemption of embattled Thrashers prospect Patrice Cormier will be delayed through training camp. It was revealed today that Cormier broke his foot blocking a shot during the final day of rookie camp.
The Thrashers prospect will be out indefinitely after suffering a broken right foot during rookie camp. According to the team, surgery will not be required.
The highly-regarded Cormier, obtained as part of the February trade with New Jersey for Ilya Kovalchuk, blocked a shot Thursday during the final four-on-four scrimmage of the camp for prospects. He fell to the ice after being hit, but got up on his own and told a teammate he was fine.
Cormier was placed on the team’s full training camp roster only to leave the team’s practice facility on crutches. X-rays of Cormier’s foot were taken Thursday and the final diagnosis made following another doctor visit Friday on the eve of camp.
Pardon the coincidentally awful pun, but this is a tough break for Cormier as he was really impressing Thrashers coaches during rookie camp and appeared to be ready to challenge for a spot with the NHL club. We highlighted Cormier the other day and while his horrible on-ice incident in junior hockey last season will shadow him early on, performing on the biggest stage is the fastest way to make people forget about previous misgivings. Cormier’s chances to prove himself will have to wait for now.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 48
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 2
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 18
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 28
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (61)