Sep 17, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
The redemption of embattled Thrashers prospect Patrice Cormier will be delayed through training camp. It was revealed today that Cormier broke his foot blocking a shot during the final day of rookie camp.
The Thrashers prospect will be out indefinitely after suffering a broken right foot during rookie camp. According to the team, surgery will not be required.
The highly-regarded Cormier, obtained as part of the February trade with New Jersey for Ilya Kovalchuk, blocked a shot Thursday during the final four-on-four scrimmage of the camp for prospects. He fell to the ice after being hit, but got up on his own and told a teammate he was fine.
Cormier was placed on the team’s full training camp roster only to leave the team’s practice facility on crutches. X-rays of Cormier’s foot were taken Thursday and the final diagnosis made following another doctor visit Friday on the eve of camp.
Pardon the coincidentally awful pun, but this is a tough break for Cormier as he was really impressing Thrashers coaches during rookie camp and appeared to be ready to challenge for a spot with the NHL club. We highlighted Cormier the other day and while his horrible on-ice incident in junior hockey last season will shadow him early on, performing on the biggest stage is the fastest way to make people forget about previous misgivings. Cormier’s chances to prove himself will have to wait for now.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 5
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)