Sep 17, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
The redemption of embattled Thrashers prospect Patrice Cormier will be delayed through training camp. It was revealed today that Cormier broke his foot blocking a shot during the final day of rookie camp.
The Thrashers prospect will be out indefinitely after suffering a broken right foot during rookie camp. According to the team, surgery will not be required.
The highly-regarded Cormier, obtained as part of the February trade with New Jersey for Ilya Kovalchuk, blocked a shot Thursday during the final four-on-four scrimmage of the camp for prospects. He fell to the ice after being hit, but got up on his own and told a teammate he was fine.
Cormier was placed on the team’s full training camp roster only to leave the team’s practice facility on crutches. X-rays of Cormier’s foot were taken Thursday and the final diagnosis made following another doctor visit Friday on the eve of camp.
Pardon the coincidentally awful pun, but this is a tough break for Cormier as he was really impressing Thrashers coaches during rookie camp and appeared to be ready to challenge for a spot with the NHL club. We highlighted Cormier the other day and while his horrible on-ice incident in junior hockey last season will shadow him early on, performing on the biggest stage is the fastest way to make people forget about previous misgivings. Cormier’s chances to prove himself will have to wait for now.
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 13
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 62
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 24
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming