Sep 17, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
The redemption of embattled Thrashers prospect Patrice Cormier will be delayed through training camp. It was revealed today that Cormier broke his foot blocking a shot during the final day of rookie camp.
The Thrashers prospect will be out indefinitely after suffering a broken right foot during rookie camp. According to the team, surgery will not be required.
The highly-regarded Cormier, obtained as part of the February trade with New Jersey for Ilya Kovalchuk, blocked a shot Thursday during the final four-on-four scrimmage of the camp for prospects. He fell to the ice after being hit, but got up on his own and told a teammate he was fine.
Cormier was placed on the team’s full training camp roster only to leave the team’s practice facility on crutches. X-rays of Cormier’s foot were taken Thursday and the final diagnosis made following another doctor visit Friday on the eve of camp.
Pardon the coincidentally awful pun, but this is a tough break for Cormier as he was really impressing Thrashers coaches during rookie camp and appeared to be ready to challenge for a spot with the NHL club. We highlighted Cormier the other day and while his horrible on-ice incident in junior hockey last season will shadow him early on, performing on the biggest stage is the fastest way to make people forget about previous misgivings. Cormier’s chances to prove himself will have to wait for now.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)