Sep 17, 2010, 1:40 PM EDT
While Chuck Norris might be an inspiration to goalies and Internet memes around the world, one guy who’s managed to be tougher than everyone is former head coach Pat Burns. While Burns is struggling with terminal lung cancer and reported to be in worsening condition, it seems that some are in a hurry to be the first to report on the coach’s death.
Even before he’s actually dead.
Greg Wyshynski at Puck Daddy wrangled some of the tweets from media sources reporting that Burns had died from his battle with cancer, but TSN’s Bob McKenzie managed to get word from a source saying that Burns was, indeed, still alive. He got a phone call from Pat Burns himself and tweeted what the three-time Jack Adams Award winner had to say.
Pat Burns just called me Seriously. Here’s what he said. “Here we go again. They’re trying to kill me before I’m dead…
I come to Quebec to spend some time with my family and they say I’m dead. I’m not dead, far f—— from it. They’ve had me dead since June.
Tell I’m alive. Set them straight.” Done, my friend. Done. What a beauty. A great man, a great friend. Just leave him the hell alone.
If you wondered why hockey fans have a special place in their hearts for Pat Burns, those quotes right there sum it all up perfectly. After all, Burns is a guy that can get Bruins, Canadiens and Maple Leafs fans to agree on at least one thing. He coached the New Jersey Devils to a Stanley Cup, the Habs to the Cup Finals in 1989, and inspired a new generation of Leafs fans into loving hockey once again when he lead the Leafs to the Western Conference Finals in 1993.
Pat Burns doesn’t fear death, he laughs in the face of it and gives the finger to those in the media in a big hurry to put him in the ground. God bless Pat Burns.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35