Sep 17, 2010, 3:56 PM EST
Daymond Langkow’s recovery from a neck injury suffered last season is progressing slowly. Sportsnet reports that no timetable has been set for Langkow’s return to the ice as he rehabilitates a broken bone in his neck suffered after taking a slapshot from teammate Ian White in a game against the Wild in March.
Langkow is the guy generally looked to to be the team’s number two centerman, but Matthew Stajan will look to jump into that role now for the Flames while Langkow looks to get back to action. With Olli Jokinen back in the mix as the De facto top center on a line with Alex Tanguay and Jarome Iginla, the pressure is somewhat off of Stajan to fill those shoes on the second line, but certainly the Flames can’t afford to lose depth.
Expect rookie forward Mikael Backlund to also perhaps see his chances increase in Calgary as well with Langkow out indefinitely. The Flames could use a dose of youth on their roster and a talent like Backlund could be what they need.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 4
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 12
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 14
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 41
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)