Sep 17, 2010, 12:54 PM EST
With the Red Wings not having won the Stanley Cup the last two seasons, head coach Mike Babcock is looking to tweak things with his defensive pairings. The Freep’s Helene St. James finds out that Babcock is going to shuffle things around defensively having Nick Lidstrom pair up with Niklas Kronwall and Brian Rafalski team up with Brad Stuart.
This comes off curious because Kronwall is a bit more of a high-risk defenseman prone to making a bad jump on a play early in the defensive zone leaving his partner hung out to dry. Brad Stuart played very capable defense last year but often looked poor when trying to compensate. Pairing Kronwall up with an older yet still mentally brilliant Lidstrom could be Babcock’s way of trying to rein Kronwall in a bit from putting himself out of position. After all, making Brad Stuart look bad is one thing, making the team captain look bad is another thing entirely.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 2
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 7
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 20
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11