Sep 17, 2010, 10:29 AM EST
With the Devils eventually having to shuffle players around to get under the salary cap, having injuries to players that will be counted on to play bigger minutes in the meantime is a killer. In the case of defenseman Anssi Salmela, his wait to get back on the ice could be a bit longer than expected following ACL and meniscus surgery Rich Chere finds out.
Defenseman Anssi Salmela, who will miss all of training camp following right knee surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus, said he will be examined by a doctor Sept. 28 to determine whether he can begin skating on his own.
Salmela is still probably months away from being able to practice or play a game.
“It was the ACL and meniscus. You have to be patient with that,” Salmela said as he arrived for his physical today.
“It’s alright. It’s good. I’m a couple of months behind, though.”
Salmela is one of the Devils’ top six defensemen and with the rumors whirling around about potentially dealing Bryce Salvador to help the team get under the cap, having Salmela gone for the first part of the season is an unwelcome bite to the roster. Right now, look for Mark Fraser to potentially see his minutes improve.
Since we know you’re curious if having Salmela start the year on the long-term injured reserve could provide some salary relief to the team, that’s not going to happen either as Salmela’s cap hit is just over $600,000 this year. Loophole Lou Lamoriello will need to find another way to make things work there.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)