Sep 17, 2010, 9:00 PM EDT
He’s not the first player that a team stashed overseas to bury his cap hit by any means – Michael Nylander comes to mind as one who came well before him – but Cristobal Huet is becoming the new poster child for salary cap circumvention.
Hockey fans, writers and bloggers alike can solve every cap crunch by following the Huet Standard. Is Brian Rolston’s $5.06 million cap hit too much too stomach? Ship him to Europe. How are the New York Rangers going to get under the cap after finally signing Marc Staal? That’s simple; just pay him $6.5 million to play hockey in the minors.
The funny thing is that the Huet Solution didn’t even officially happen yet. ESPN Chicago reports that the Chicago Blackhawks are close to finding a home for their orphaned $5.625 million albatross.
General manager Stan Bowman said Friday he hopes to assign Huet to a team in Europe within the next few weeks. Huet’s agent, Stephen Bartlett, told ESPN Chicago he’s in talks with Swiss team Fribourg-Gotteron.
Huet, 35, won’t be in training camp and may be claimed off waivers from the Stanley Cup champions.
Sounds like Huet might want to bone up on his German, French, Italian and Romanish. (What is, “How dare you call me overpaid!” in French?)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 0
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 9
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 18
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)