Sep 17, 2010, 9:00 PM EDT
He’s not the first player that a team stashed overseas to bury his cap hit by any means – Michael Nylander comes to mind as one who came well before him – but Cristobal Huet is becoming the new poster child for salary cap circumvention.
Hockey fans, writers and bloggers alike can solve every cap crunch by following the Huet Standard. Is Brian Rolston’s $5.06 million cap hit too much too stomach? Ship him to Europe. How are the New York Rangers going to get under the cap after finally signing Marc Staal? That’s simple; just pay him $6.5 million to play hockey in the minors.
The funny thing is that the Huet Solution didn’t even officially happen yet. ESPN Chicago reports that the Chicago Blackhawks are close to finding a home for their orphaned $5.625 million albatross.
General manager Stan Bowman said Friday he hopes to assign Huet to a team in Europe within the next few weeks. Huet’s agent, Stephen Bartlett, told ESPN Chicago he’s in talks with Swiss team Fribourg-Gotteron.
Huet, 35, won’t be in training camp and may be claimed off waivers from the Stanley Cup champions.
Sounds like Huet might want to bone up on his German, French, Italian and Romanish. (What is, “How dare you call me overpaid!” in French?)
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)