Sep 17, 2010, 11:59 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have made a late addition to their roster that could help figure out their dearth of talent up the middle. Former Kings and Oilers centerman Patrick O’Sullivan has signed a one-year, two-way contract worth $600,000 with the Hurricanes. Chip Alexander of Canes Now grabs some quotes.
“He can win a spot,” Rutherford said of O’Sullivan. “Last year was not one of his best but he’s still a young guy who has had a 20-goal season in the NHL. He has a very good skill level.”
O’Sullivan played center for the Oilers but Rutherford said he is capable of playing all three forward positions and the Canes believe he may be best on the wing.
In discussing the contract, Rutherford said, “We want to keep it a two-way so as not to close the door on a (roster) spot. It will make camp even more competitive.”
O’Sullivan has some history with Carolina as he was part of the three-way deal between Edmonton, Carolina and Los Angeles that sent Erik Cole back to Carolina, Justin Williams to Los Angeles and O’Sullivan to Edmonton. Some fans of Patrick O’Sullivan, however, are worried that O’Sullivan could have some problems playing in Raleigh although we’d guess that if he’s signing a contract there, any issues that may have existed before have been resolved.
O’Sullivan immediately slots in as one of the better centers on the team. With Eric Staal leading the way, Brandon Sutter was slated to be the #2 center on the team. If O’Sullivan can bounce back after a miserable season in Edmonton, he’ll provide an immediate return to the Hurricanes. If he continues to struggle, they can send him to the AHL after going through waivers first. The Hurricanes could certainly use an experienced boost at the center position, however.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)