Sep 16, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
His decision to pass on a $1 million offer from the Detroit Red Wings wasn’t Vesa Toskala-passing-on-any-NHL-deal bad, but let’s not doubt that Andreas Lilja was kicking himself this summer. He might be able to make lemonade out of free agency lemons, though, as reports indicate that the defense-poor San Jose Sharks will give Lilja a chance to make the team if he can make good on a tryout in training camp.
Just spoke with Andreas Lilja’s agent, Todd Diamond, who notified me that Lilja will be taking a try-out with the San Jose Sharks. For those holding out hope that Lilja would appear at Wings training camp this week – despite not being on the bus this morning – well, that proverbial train has left the station. For San Jose.
(The late George Carlin would point out that it would be highly unlikely that the Book of Proverbs would mention a train leaving a station, but that’s just me nitpicking there.)
Lilja only played in 20 games for Detroit last season, scoring one goal and one assist for two points and registered a -2 rating. He appeared in portions of nine NHL seasons in his career, spending time with the Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings and Florida Panthers.
Who knows if Lilja will make the Sharks, but the odds are solid because the team really lacks depth on defense. Even if he makes the team, he’s far from a miracle worker, yet he might be able to soak up minutes like an “innings eating” pitcher in baseball.
(H/T to Matthew Taylor.)
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 1
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 25
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 6
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8