Sep 16, 2010, 2:10 PM EST
His decision to pass on a $1 million offer from the Detroit Red Wings wasn’t Vesa Toskala-passing-on-any-NHL-deal bad, but let’s not doubt that Andreas Lilja was kicking himself this summer. He might be able to make lemonade out of free agency lemons, though, as reports indicate that the defense-poor San Jose Sharks will give Lilja a chance to make the team if he can make good on a tryout in training camp.
Just spoke with Andreas Lilja’s agent, Todd Diamond, who notified me that Lilja will be taking a try-out with the San Jose Sharks. For those holding out hope that Lilja would appear at Wings training camp this week – despite not being on the bus this morning – well, that proverbial train has left the station. For San Jose.
(The late George Carlin would point out that it would be highly unlikely that the Book of Proverbs would mention a train leaving a station, but that’s just me nitpicking there.)
Lilja only played in 20 games for Detroit last season, scoring one goal and one assist for two points and registered a -2 rating. He appeared in portions of nine NHL seasons in his career, spending time with the Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings and Florida Panthers.
Who knows if Lilja will make the Sharks, but the odds are solid because the team really lacks depth on defense. Even if he makes the team, he’s far from a miracle worker, yet he might be able to soak up minutes like an “innings eating” pitcher in baseball.
(H/T to Matthew Taylor.)
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 0
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 2
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)