Sep 16, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
His decision to pass on a $1 million offer from the Detroit Red Wings wasn’t Vesa Toskala-passing-on-any-NHL-deal bad, but let’s not doubt that Andreas Lilja was kicking himself this summer. He might be able to make lemonade out of free agency lemons, though, as reports indicate that the defense-poor San Jose Sharks will give Lilja a chance to make the team if he can make good on a tryout in training camp.
Just spoke with Andreas Lilja’s agent, Todd Diamond, who notified me that Lilja will be taking a try-out with the San Jose Sharks. For those holding out hope that Lilja would appear at Wings training camp this week – despite not being on the bus this morning – well, that proverbial train has left the station. For San Jose.
(The late George Carlin would point out that it would be highly unlikely that the Book of Proverbs would mention a train leaving a station, but that’s just me nitpicking there.)
Lilja only played in 20 games for Detroit last season, scoring one goal and one assist for two points and registered a -2 rating. He appeared in portions of nine NHL seasons in his career, spending time with the Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings and Florida Panthers.
Who knows if Lilja will make the Sharks, but the odds are solid because the team really lacks depth on defense. Even if he makes the team, he’s far from a miracle worker, yet he might be able to soak up minutes like an “innings eating” pitcher in baseball.
(H/T to Matthew Taylor.)
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)