Sep 16, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
With the Vancouver Canucks adding a substantial amount of cash to their already jam-packed blueline in the form of Keith Ballard and Dan Hamhuis this off-season, the question seemed to be: who needs to go?
That problem might solve itself thanks to a very … mysterious off-season injury. The Canucks are about $3.15 million above the salary cap with 23 players committed (according to CapGeek.com), but reports indicate that Sami Salo and his $3.5 million cap hit could very well be eligible for the long term injury reserve.
News 1130 Sports reports that Salo will be out “at least” five months according to GM Mike Gillis, so if the team will need to move someone, it won’t need to do so anytime soon.
Taking Salo’s $3.5 million off the Canucks cap would put the team under by about $350K, not quite enough for a minimum wage player. Then again, Gillis can move some salary around at the team’s lower levels or just settle for a 22-man roster instead of the 23 player maximum.
Either way, it’s a lot easier than trying to find a home for useful but injury prone defenseman Kevin Bieksa, the target of more than a few trade rumors this summer. Time will tell if Vancouver deserves all of their Stanley Cup hype, but Salo’s loss might just be the Canucks’ gain.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)