Sep 16, 2010, 11:58 PM EDT
The health of former NHL head coach Pat Burns has taken a turn for the worse. According to a report out of Canada, the three-time Jack Adams award winner’s struggles with terminal lung cancer are becoming more dire and those close to him are fearing the worst.
Former NHL coach Pat Burns has taken a turn for the worse, according to news reports.
The 58-year-old Montreal native has been fighting a battle with terminal lung cancer for a number of years. That battle, it appears, could end in the next few days.
Cancer is a horrible thing for anyone to deal with and it’s painful to see those we care about and love go through it. What will upset fans of Pat Burns more these days is reflecting back upon Burns not getting elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame this year. It’s sad to think that a coach who has a legacy more than Hall-Of-Fame-worthy is seemingly going to get elected posthumously when there was a chance to honor the man while he’s still alive.
That said, this isn’t a moment to get angry about that injustice, instead it’s time to pray for his health in hopes that we’ll see his condition turn around for the better in any way possible.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)