Sep 16, 2010, 11:58 PM EST
The health of former NHL head coach Pat Burns has taken a turn for the worse. According to a report out of Canada, the three-time Jack Adams award winner’s struggles with terminal lung cancer are becoming more dire and those close to him are fearing the worst.
Former NHL coach Pat Burns has taken a turn for the worse, according to news reports.
The 58-year-old Montreal native has been fighting a battle with terminal lung cancer for a number of years. That battle, it appears, could end in the next few days.
Cancer is a horrible thing for anyone to deal with and it’s painful to see those we care about and love go through it. What will upset fans of Pat Burns more these days is reflecting back upon Burns not getting elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame this year. It’s sad to think that a coach who has a legacy more than Hall-Of-Fame-worthy is seemingly going to get elected posthumously when there was a chance to honor the man while he’s still alive.
That said, this isn’t a moment to get angry about that injustice, instead it’s time to pray for his health in hopes that we’ll see his condition turn around for the better in any way possible.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 16
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)