Sep 16, 2010, 11:58 PM EDT
The health of former NHL head coach Pat Burns has taken a turn for the worse. According to a report out of Canada, the three-time Jack Adams award winner’s struggles with terminal lung cancer are becoming more dire and those close to him are fearing the worst.
Former NHL coach Pat Burns has taken a turn for the worse, according to news reports.
The 58-year-old Montreal native has been fighting a battle with terminal lung cancer for a number of years. That battle, it appears, could end in the next few days.
Cancer is a horrible thing for anyone to deal with and it’s painful to see those we care about and love go through it. What will upset fans of Pat Burns more these days is reflecting back upon Burns not getting elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame this year. It’s sad to think that a coach who has a legacy more than Hall-Of-Fame-worthy is seemingly going to get elected posthumously when there was a chance to honor the man while he’s still alive.
That said, this isn’t a moment to get angry about that injustice, instead it’s time to pray for his health in hopes that we’ll see his condition turn around for the better in any way possible.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal