Sep 16, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
I’ve long been a proponent (but also a naysayer) when it comes to the psychological impact of a contract year on an athlete, but let’s not forget that coaches and general managers aren’t immune to that either. When it comes to bargaining power, you cannot get much better than winning a Stanley Cup.
Joel Quenneville clearly got that memo. TSN reports that the Blackhawks are primed to announce Coach Q’s contract extension and Mike Brophy reports that Chicago will wrap him up for the next three years.
This follows the trend of the club rewarding front office people for the Cup run, coming on the heels of GM Stan Bowman adding vice president to his title earlier this summer.
Much like Bowman, this season should present a bigger challenge than last season for Coach Q. It’s never easy to defend a championship, but as many will tell you, the Blackhawks lost valuable pieces such as goalie Antti Niemi, Dustin Byfuglien and Kris Versteeg among others. Sure, Chicago still boasts Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Marian Hossa and Duncan Keith, but they won’t bombard people with wave after wave of talent like they did last season.
It’s a smart move overall for Chicago, but the club faces some fascinating hurdles in the future. Quenneville is competent-to-outstanding coach, so I think the team is in good hands. After all, his mustache alone probably earns him at least a two year grace period.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 11
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)