Sep 16, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens face quite the challenge this season after overachieving their way to the Eastern Conference finals in the playoffs. To at least approach that level of success, they must put goalie Carey Price in the best possible position to succeed.
For that to happen, the Habs will need their defense to play at an optimal level. Roman Hamrlik is a vital cog in the machine, so here’s hoping he doesn’t follow the same path as Jordan Staal, whose injury report keeps taking up more days of the hockey calendar. Jay Gold passes along the word that a knee injury will keep Hamrlik out for two to three weeks.
That time table sounds like it would leave him just about ready for the season to start on October 7, give or take a few days. Hamrlik isn’t exactly a spring chicken – he’s 35 already (and will turn 36 around the end of the season/beginning of the playoffs) – so the Canadiens would be wise to be careful with his knee.
The good news is that Hamrlik is such an experienced defenseman, with 17 seasons under his belt, that missing training camp shouldn’t be as big of a deal. Surely it would have been nice for him to get into a rhythm, but he probably doesn’t have that much left to learn.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)