Sep 16, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens face quite the challenge this season after overachieving their way to the Eastern Conference finals in the playoffs. To at least approach that level of success, they must put goalie Carey Price in the best possible position to succeed.
For that to happen, the Habs will need their defense to play at an optimal level. Roman Hamrlik is a vital cog in the machine, so here’s hoping he doesn’t follow the same path as Jordan Staal, whose injury report keeps taking up more days of the hockey calendar. Jay Gold passes along the word that a knee injury will keep Hamrlik out for two to three weeks.
That time table sounds like it would leave him just about ready for the season to start on October 7, give or take a few days. Hamrlik isn’t exactly a spring chicken – he’s 35 already (and will turn 36 around the end of the season/beginning of the playoffs) – so the Canadiens would be wise to be careful with his knee.
The good news is that Hamrlik is such an experienced defenseman, with 17 seasons under his belt, that missing training camp shouldn’t be as big of a deal. Surely it would have been nice for him to get into a rhythm, but he probably doesn’t have that much left to learn.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 21
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 64
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)