Sep 16, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens face quite the challenge this season after overachieving their way to the Eastern Conference finals in the playoffs. To at least approach that level of success, they must put goalie Carey Price in the best possible position to succeed.
For that to happen, the Habs will need their defense to play at an optimal level. Roman Hamrlik is a vital cog in the machine, so here’s hoping he doesn’t follow the same path as Jordan Staal, whose injury report keeps taking up more days of the hockey calendar. Jay Gold passes along the word that a knee injury will keep Hamrlik out for two to three weeks.
That time table sounds like it would leave him just about ready for the season to start on October 7, give or take a few days. Hamrlik isn’t exactly a spring chicken – he’s 35 already (and will turn 36 around the end of the season/beginning of the playoffs) – so the Canadiens would be wise to be careful with his knee.
The good news is that Hamrlik is such an experienced defenseman, with 17 seasons under his belt, that missing training camp shouldn’t be as big of a deal. Surely it would have been nice for him to get into a rhythm, but he probably doesn’t have that much left to learn.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)