Sep 16, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens face quite the challenge this season after overachieving their way to the Eastern Conference finals in the playoffs. To at least approach that level of success, they must put goalie Carey Price in the best possible position to succeed.
For that to happen, the Habs will need their defense to play at an optimal level. Roman Hamrlik is a vital cog in the machine, so here’s hoping he doesn’t follow the same path as Jordan Staal, whose injury report keeps taking up more days of the hockey calendar. Jay Gold passes along the word that a knee injury will keep Hamrlik out for two to three weeks.
That time table sounds like it would leave him just about ready for the season to start on October 7, give or take a few days. Hamrlik isn’t exactly a spring chicken – he’s 35 already (and will turn 36 around the end of the season/beginning of the playoffs) – so the Canadiens would be wise to be careful with his knee.
The good news is that Hamrlik is such an experienced defenseman, with 17 seasons under his belt, that missing training camp shouldn’t be as big of a deal. Surely it would have been nice for him to get into a rhythm, but he probably doesn’t have that much left to learn.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 0
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 18
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 13
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 7
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)