Sep 16, 2010, 8:52 PM EDT
With training camps about to start, the last of the signings are being finalized and one late signing today by the Ducks comes at the perfect time. The Ducks have signed defenseman Paul Mara to a one-year deal worth $750,000 to help add experience and depth to their blueline corps. Mara struggled with injury last year in Montreal and didn’t factor much into what the Habs did last year.
Mara’s signing comes at a good time for the Ducks because newly acquired defenseman Toni Lydman is having issues of his own with double vision.
Doctors have done several batteries of tests on Lydman, ruling out most major medical concerns but not identifying the problem.
That sounds random and awkward for Lydman. The Ducks’ blueline was already set to be a point of contention as Lubomir Visnovsky, Andy Sutton, and Toni Lydman are the big names back on defense for Anaheim. That’s not exactly a murderer’s row of blueliners and losing Lydman just makes life harder there.
No offense to guys like Brett Festerling, Danny Syvret or Sheldon Brookbank but they’re not the sort of guys that will be able to consistently do well against the likes of San Jose, Chicago or Detroit in the west. Bringing Mara on board helps but they’re still going to have a hard time in the supremely competitive Western Conference.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)