Tyler Seguin tallies two assists, Nino Niederreiter gets in first fight during Bruins-Islanders rookie game
Sep 15, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
While the Traverse City Prospects Tournament wrapped up tonight, there were other rookie competitions of note. We’ll cover the big three Edmonton prospects’ debut in the Young Stars Tournament tomorrow, but the Boston Bruins and New York Islanders also had a rookie game that caused quite a stir.
With a pair of top-five picks from the 2010 NHL Draft on display — Boston’s Tyler Seguin and New York’s Nino Niederreiter — an impressive crowd of 11,571 came out to see two teams of fresh faces at TD Garden, but it was Jordan Caron who stole the show with a hat trick, as the Bruins came out on top, 5-2.
And the two headliners made their presence known in both aspects of the game.
Seguin tallied a pair of assists and jostled with the Isles’ Travis Hamonic, while Niederreiter scored New York’s first goal of the night off Hamonic’s deflection at 11:51 of the second and later dropped the gloves in the third period for a joust with Boston’s Tyler Randell.
Robin Figren would also score for the Islanders in the third period.
Niederreiter’s fight with Randell was one of several on a night that saw a delay in the third period to clean blood off of the ice. The rules established before the start of the game declared that any player who fought twice would be ejected, but nobody received more than one fighting major.
So Seguin produced two helpers and Niederreiter got in his first career fight in a game violent enough that people needed to clean blood off the ice? Sure, this might only be an exhibition game, but for the players involved it means something. Especially when it’s your first semi-real taste of NHL hockey.
So far, so good for both prospects, it seems.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 6
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 51
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)