Tyler Seguin tallies two assists, Nino Niederreiter gets in first fight during Bruins-Islanders rookie game
Sep 15, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
While the Traverse City Prospects Tournament wrapped up tonight, there were other rookie competitions of note. We’ll cover the big three Edmonton prospects’ debut in the Young Stars Tournament tomorrow, but the Boston Bruins and New York Islanders also had a rookie game that caused quite a stir.
With a pair of top-five picks from the 2010 NHL Draft on display — Boston’s Tyler Seguin and New York’s Nino Niederreiter — an impressive crowd of 11,571 came out to see two teams of fresh faces at TD Garden, but it was Jordan Caron who stole the show with a hat trick, as the Bruins came out on top, 5-2.
And the two headliners made their presence known in both aspects of the game.
Seguin tallied a pair of assists and jostled with the Isles’ Travis Hamonic, while Niederreiter scored New York’s first goal of the night off Hamonic’s deflection at 11:51 of the second and later dropped the gloves in the third period for a joust with Boston’s Tyler Randell.
Robin Figren would also score for the Islanders in the third period.
Niederreiter’s fight with Randell was one of several on a night that saw a delay in the third period to clean blood off of the ice. The rules established before the start of the game declared that any player who fought twice would be ejected, but nobody received more than one fighting major.
So Seguin produced two helpers and Niederreiter got in his first career fight in a game violent enough that people needed to clean blood off the ice? Sure, this might only be an exhibition game, but for the players involved it means something. Especially when it’s your first semi-real taste of NHL hockey.
So far, so good for both prospects, it seems.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 42
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 33
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22