Sep 15, 2010, 10:35 PM EST
(Note: We’ll have results of the night’s other prospects game – Edmonton vs. San Jose in the Young Stars Tournament – tomorrow morning.)
The Traverse City Prospects Tournament concluded tonight, with four games deciding the team’s final standings in the exhibition of young talent. Here are the results, beginning with the “gold medal” game all the way down to the seventh place skirmish.
The Wild won the “gold medal” after scoring three goals in the third period to beat the Red Wings.
Matt Hackett stopped 30 out of 31 shots to lead the Wild to victory, with Cody Almond, T.J. Barnett and Marco Scandella chipping in goals for Minnesota. Thomas McCollum was in net for Detroit, allowing three goals on 25 shots while Sebastien Piche scored the lone Red Wings goal in the first period.
The Hurricanes took home the imaginary bronze medal thanks to an overtime game-winner from a player who hopes to make the big team, first rounder Jeff Skinner. Matt Kennedy, Justin Shugg and Jared Staal also scored for Carolina while Matt Butcher tallied twice and James Wright also scored once for Tamp Bay.
The Stars took another beating in this tournament, this time getting drubbed by the Rangers’ prospects 7-2. The Stars couldn’t do much on the powerplay, converting only one chance in 10 opportunities (the Rangers weren’t much better, going 1 for 6). This means that the Rangers placed fifth while the Stars get sixth.
The Blues avoided being the last place team in this competition thanks to sound goaltending and a deadly powerplay. St. Louis converted 5 of their 8 man advantages, scoring all of their goals on special teams. The Blue Jackets actually out-shot the Blues 40-33, but Jake Allen stopped 38 of 40 shots for St. Louis. Columbus continues its bad news week by placing last, although my guess is they’re a little more bummed out about their paltry tickets sales.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 3
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 24
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 38
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (165)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)