Sep 15, 2010, 3:44 PM EST
We’ve talked about how hockey players will sometimes do curious things to cross-train for the season. Justin Abdelkader of Detroit, for instance, took boxing classes earlier this off-season to be better prepared for the season. Other players, like Carolina’s Tim Gleason, an experienced pugilist in his own right, look for other methods to improve their game.
Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer tells us that Gleason opted to try and figure skate his way into being a better hockey player for a day with American skaters Amanda Evora and Mark Ladwig.
Ladwig and Evora showed Gleason some of their best moves, while Gleason gave some quick instructions on the proper technique on slap shots.
Gleason’s grade for his waltz?
“I would have to give it deductions for the artistic mark,” Ladwig deadpanned. “But in terms of technical ability and lack of experience, I would give him a 6.0 on that.
“I think he was playing up the fact he’s a hockey player. I think he can skate. I know he could probably whip me nine ways to Sunday if we were out here playing anything.”
Ladwig grew up in Minnesota and is a hockey fan. He said he played the sport until he was 12, finishing his career as a goalie.
“I couldn’t shoot, as you could witness today,” he joked.
While we’re not sure how well Tim Gleason portrayed D.B. Sweeney in his role as hockey-player-turned-figure-skater in “The Cutting Edge” it sure is a lot more amusing to think of a guy throwing on the Olympic uniform and giving it a whirl just because. Thanks to the Carolina Hurricanes, we can at least show you how, ahem, graceful, Tim Gleason looks when flexing his skills.
I think we’re all thankful that he wasn’t outfitted in sequins and a fancy jersey for the day. It’s not as if they don’t make them after all.
(Photo: Carolina Hurricanes Twitter)
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 0
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans': Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans': Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)