Sep 15, 2010, 3:44 PM EDT
We’ve talked about how hockey players will sometimes do curious things to cross-train for the season. Justin Abdelkader of Detroit, for instance, took boxing classes earlier this off-season to be better prepared for the season. Other players, like Carolina’s Tim Gleason, an experienced pugilist in his own right, look for other methods to improve their game.
Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer tells us that Gleason opted to try and figure skate his way into being a better hockey player for a day with American skaters Amanda Evora and Mark Ladwig.
Ladwig and Evora showed Gleason some of their best moves, while Gleason gave some quick instructions on the proper technique on slap shots.
Gleason’s grade for his waltz?
“I would have to give it deductions for the artistic mark,” Ladwig deadpanned. “But in terms of technical ability and lack of experience, I would give him a 6.0 on that.
“I think he was playing up the fact he’s a hockey player. I think he can skate. I know he could probably whip me nine ways to Sunday if we were out here playing anything.”
Ladwig grew up in Minnesota and is a hockey fan. He said he played the sport until he was 12, finishing his career as a goalie.
“I couldn’t shoot, as you could witness today,” he joked.
While we’re not sure how well Tim Gleason portrayed D.B. Sweeney in his role as hockey-player-turned-figure-skater in “The Cutting Edge” it sure is a lot more amusing to think of a guy throwing on the Olympic uniform and giving it a whirl just because. Thanks to the Carolina Hurricanes, we can at least show you how, ahem, graceful, Tim Gleason looks when flexing his skills.
I think we’re all thankful that he wasn’t outfitted in sequins and a fancy jersey for the day. It’s not as if they don’t make them after all.
(Photo: Carolina Hurricanes Twitter)
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)