Sep 15, 2010, 3:44 PM EST
We’ve talked about how hockey players will sometimes do curious things to cross-train for the season. Justin Abdelkader of Detroit, for instance, took boxing classes earlier this off-season to be better prepared for the season. Other players, like Carolina’s Tim Gleason, an experienced pugilist in his own right, look for other methods to improve their game.
Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer tells us that Gleason opted to try and figure skate his way into being a better hockey player for a day with American skaters Amanda Evora and Mark Ladwig.
Ladwig and Evora showed Gleason some of their best moves, while Gleason gave some quick instructions on the proper technique on slap shots.
Gleason’s grade for his waltz?
“I would have to give it deductions for the artistic mark,” Ladwig deadpanned. “But in terms of technical ability and lack of experience, I would give him a 6.0 on that.
“I think he was playing up the fact he’s a hockey player. I think he can skate. I know he could probably whip me nine ways to Sunday if we were out here playing anything.”
Ladwig grew up in Minnesota and is a hockey fan. He said he played the sport until he was 12, finishing his career as a goalie.
“I couldn’t shoot, as you could witness today,” he joked.
While we’re not sure how well Tim Gleason portrayed D.B. Sweeney in his role as hockey-player-turned-figure-skater in “The Cutting Edge” it sure is a lot more amusing to think of a guy throwing on the Olympic uniform and giving it a whirl just because. Thanks to the Carolina Hurricanes, we can at least show you how, ahem, graceful, Tim Gleason looks when flexing his skills.
I think we’re all thankful that he wasn’t outfitted in sequins and a fancy jersey for the day. It’s not as if they don’t make them after all.
(Photo: Carolina Hurricanes Twitter)
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)