Sep 15, 2010, 12:34 PM EST
If you thought that things were going to stop being interesting in New Jersey once Ilya Kovalchuk’s situation was squared away, you’ve got another thing coming. Rich Chere finds out from Devils coach John MacLean that one prominent Devil will be switching his position and seemingly making the left wing a bit crowded this year.
But as the Devils’ new head coach prepared to take part in the team’s annual alumni golf classic today at Upper Montclair Country Club, MacLean did say he considers Zach Parise, Ilya Kovalchuk and Patrik Elias all left wingers.
If that is the case, one of those very talented players would be a third-liner.
“We’ll see what positions we’re going to put everybody in,” MacLean said. “I think Patty’s going to be a left winger, though.”
Will they be on three different lines?
“Could be,” MacLean said. “I’m not going to tell you one way or the other what I’m going to do right now. You can guess all you want. I’m not going to tell you what my lines are going to be. Patrik is going to be a left winger.”
That sounded definitive enough.
Perhaps there’s more to this and either Zach Parise or Ilya Kovalchuk could slide over to the right wing side to make room for Elias to play the left wing. If shot-handedness is a concern for anyone, Kovalchuk is a right-handed shot so perhaps a move to the right side could work there.
After all, it’s training camp and that’s the time to try new things out. Being loaded up along the left wing side could be a great way to bring scoring balance to three lines. Of course, none of this takes into account any possible moves the Devils might have forthcoming to get under the salary cap. In other words, we’ll wait and see what happens next before breaking things down like scientists.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)