Sep 14, 2010, 12:40 AM EDT
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Bill Sweatt explains his side of the story in Toronto non-signing debacle – There’s so many sweat/sweaty puns available here, I’m actually overloaded.
Ilari Filppula hopes to impress Red Wings coaches in camp – Yup, that’s Valtteri’s brother.
Thrashers re-sign Niclas Bergfors – This team might be improved, but they can use all the finesse they can get from the forward position.
Canadiens will have a captain next season – Who would you vote for? Brian Gionta might be a solid choice.
Luongo relinquishes his captaincy – At this point, it seems like too much ink has been spilled about the situation, but it will be interesting to see who Vancouver names the new captain. Do you go with grit in Ryan Kesler or scoing in Henrik Sedin?
HSBC Arena crew lays down the ice – One of the many signs that hockey season is almost upon us.
Hurricanes first rounder Jeff Skinner might make the team – Cue The Simpsons’ Mr. Burns’ “Skinner!” sound bytes …
Devils Rolston and Salvador uneasy about their place with the team – As they should be, although Rolston should be more concerned with playing in the minors (or overseas).
Sabres defenseman Craig Rivet will be ready for regular season – Buffalo needs every bit of defensive help they can get.
Stars still negotiating with RFAs James Neal and Matt Niskanen – Wait, the Stars actually want to bring back Niskanen?
Vesa Toskala turned down a contract offer from Calgary … Seriously – Oh my goodness.
Columbus Blue Jackets season ticket sales drop 24.5 percent – I guess that’s what happens when you have a lousy season and create next to zero excitement in the off-season.
Kirill Kabanov shows up late to Islanders prospect camp – Will this talented “good boy” be a problem child in Long Island?
NHL fines Devils $3 million, takes two of their draft picks – The league punished New Jersey pretty severely, although at least that cash won’t count against their cap space.
Ryan Malone allows new teammate Simon Gagne to take number 12 – A great gesture by Malone, who will now wear number 6.
Sheldon Souray will not attend Oilers training camp – How, exactly, will this make him easier to trade?
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 22
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)