Sep 14, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
Puck-based change (and all the naive optimism that comes with it) is in the air as training camp arrives this week for most NHL teams. Some will tell you that one of the biggest choices that many franchises face involves placing a “C” on the jersey of a deserving captain.
While the journey to find a new captain to replace Roberto Luongo in Vancouver has been well-publicized, the Montreal Canadiens still need an official leader since Saku Koivu departed. Playmaking center Scott Gomez thinks that it isn’t that big of a deal, but Red Fisher of the Montreal Gazette disagrees.
Head coach Jacques Martin says he will name a captain before the Canadiens open the regular season after discussions with other off-ice officials. Bad move. Coaches and/or general managers don’t select captains. Players do. It’s the players who know better than any coach which player they want as a leader on and off the ice. I can’t think of a single instance when Canadiens players were not asked to vote for their captain.
Then again, Fisher wrote that a Habs vote that gave Beliveau the captaincy left Geoffrion in tears – a hockey player in an even tougher era who popularized the slapshot, for goodness sakes – so it’s far from a fool-proof concept. While it would be vaguely charming to imagine Hal Gill weeping into his gloves after he lost hockey’s version of Homecoming King, I think it might be best if coach Martin simply makes the best choice possible.
Or maybe they should just wait until the choice is obvious again … as long as it’s not Carey Price.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 0
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 4
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)