Sep 14, 2010, 2:40 PM EST
Puck-based change (and all the naive optimism that comes with it) is in the air as training camp arrives this week for most NHL teams. Some will tell you that one of the biggest choices that many franchises face involves placing a “C” on the jersey of a deserving captain.
While the journey to find a new captain to replace Roberto Luongo in Vancouver has been well-publicized, the Montreal Canadiens still need an official leader since Saku Koivu departed. Playmaking center Scott Gomez thinks that it isn’t that big of a deal, but Red Fisher of the Montreal Gazette disagrees.
Head coach Jacques Martin says he will name a captain before the Canadiens open the regular season after discussions with other off-ice officials. Bad move. Coaches and/or general managers don’t select captains. Players do. It’s the players who know better than any coach which player they want as a leader on and off the ice. I can’t think of a single instance when Canadiens players were not asked to vote for their captain.
Then again, Fisher wrote that a Habs vote that gave Beliveau the captaincy left Geoffrion in tears – a hockey player in an even tougher era who popularized the slapshot, for goodness sakes – so it’s far from a fool-proof concept. While it would be vaguely charming to imagine Hal Gill weeping into his gloves after he lost hockey’s version of Homecoming King, I think it might be best if coach Martin simply makes the best choice possible.
Or maybe they should just wait until the choice is obvious again … as long as it’s not Carey Price.
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 4
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 12
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 25
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)