Sep 14, 2010, 2:40 PM EST
Puck-based change (and all the naive optimism that comes with it) is in the air as training camp arrives this week for most NHL teams. Some will tell you that one of the biggest choices that many franchises face involves placing a “C” on the jersey of a deserving captain.
While the journey to find a new captain to replace Roberto Luongo in Vancouver has been well-publicized, the Montreal Canadiens still need an official leader since Saku Koivu departed. Playmaking center Scott Gomez thinks that it isn’t that big of a deal, but Red Fisher of the Montreal Gazette disagrees.
Head coach Jacques Martin says he will name a captain before the Canadiens open the regular season after discussions with other off-ice officials. Bad move. Coaches and/or general managers don’t select captains. Players do. It’s the players who know better than any coach which player they want as a leader on and off the ice. I can’t think of a single instance when Canadiens players were not asked to vote for their captain.
Then again, Fisher wrote that a Habs vote that gave Beliveau the captaincy left Geoffrion in tears – a hockey player in an even tougher era who popularized the slapshot, for goodness sakes – so it’s far from a fool-proof concept. While it would be vaguely charming to imagine Hal Gill weeping into his gloves after he lost hockey’s version of Homecoming King, I think it might be best if coach Martin simply makes the best choice possible.
Or maybe they should just wait until the choice is obvious again … as long as it’s not Carey Price.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)