Sep 14, 2010, 10:59 PM EDT
We’ve had some fun at the expense of former Avalanche great Peter Forsberg this summer. The perennial awakening of stories about a potential Forsberg comeback to the NHL are always ripe for commentary. It seems that Forsberg at 37 years-old now is being realistic about his NHL future these days.
While speaking on a conference call to discuss his upcoming appearance at the 15th anniversary reunion of the first Colorado Avalanche Stanley Cup team, Forsberg addressed his current physical state and whether or not one more try at the NHL is in his future.
If he has any qualms with his career, it’s that he couldn’t get that surgically repaired foot quite right and remain playing at the level to which he grew accustomed.
“I was battling that problem for so long,” Forsberg said. “I’m so happy that I got to win a lot of things when I was younger. It would be hard if I didn’t get to win the Cup and I was chasing it.
“Of course, I’m sour that if (retirement) happens, I didn’t get to quit on my own terms,” he added. “But I can’t go around thinking I had a bad life. It’s been a good hockey life for me anyway.”
At this point I think we can call for a moratorium on any and all stories about Peter Forsberg and whether or not he wants to come back to the NHL. He hasn’t been in the NHL since 2007-2008, he’s been playing on and off in Sweden since then and still hasn’t been able to stay healthy.
Unless Forsberg gets a bionic foot, a stem cell infusion or becomes a full-blown cyborg, the chances of him returning to the NHL are really slim. It’s a shame that a once great player has his legacy somewhat Brett Favre’d like this, but at the same time it’s a credit to his popularity both in Denver and in Sweden.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32