Sep 14, 2010, 10:59 PM EST
We’ve had some fun at the expense of former Avalanche great Peter Forsberg this summer. The perennial awakening of stories about a potential Forsberg comeback to the NHL are always ripe for commentary. It seems that Forsberg at 37 years-old now is being realistic about his NHL future these days.
While speaking on a conference call to discuss his upcoming appearance at the 15th anniversary reunion of the first Colorado Avalanche Stanley Cup team, Forsberg addressed his current physical state and whether or not one more try at the NHL is in his future.
If he has any qualms with his career, it’s that he couldn’t get that surgically repaired foot quite right and remain playing at the level to which he grew accustomed.
“I was battling that problem for so long,” Forsberg said. “I’m so happy that I got to win a lot of things when I was younger. It would be hard if I didn’t get to win the Cup and I was chasing it.
“Of course, I’m sour that if (retirement) happens, I didn’t get to quit on my own terms,” he added. “But I can’t go around thinking I had a bad life. It’s been a good hockey life for me anyway.”
At this point I think we can call for a moratorium on any and all stories about Peter Forsberg and whether or not he wants to come back to the NHL. He hasn’t been in the NHL since 2007-2008, he’s been playing on and off in Sweden since then and still hasn’t been able to stay healthy.
Unless Forsberg gets a bionic foot, a stem cell infusion or becomes a full-blown cyborg, the chances of him returning to the NHL are really slim. It’s a shame that a once great player has his legacy somewhat Brett Favre’d like this, but at the same time it’s a credit to his popularity both in Denver and in Sweden.
- Clarkson to have hearing for Sobotka headshot 0
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 68
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 86
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)