Sep 14, 2010, 10:59 PM EDT
We’ve had some fun at the expense of former Avalanche great Peter Forsberg this summer. The perennial awakening of stories about a potential Forsberg comeback to the NHL are always ripe for commentary. It seems that Forsberg at 37 years-old now is being realistic about his NHL future these days.
While speaking on a conference call to discuss his upcoming appearance at the 15th anniversary reunion of the first Colorado Avalanche Stanley Cup team, Forsberg addressed his current physical state and whether or not one more try at the NHL is in his future.
If he has any qualms with his career, it’s that he couldn’t get that surgically repaired foot quite right and remain playing at the level to which he grew accustomed.
“I was battling that problem for so long,” Forsberg said. “I’m so happy that I got to win a lot of things when I was younger. It would be hard if I didn’t get to win the Cup and I was chasing it.
“Of course, I’m sour that if (retirement) happens, I didn’t get to quit on my own terms,” he added. “But I can’t go around thinking I had a bad life. It’s been a good hockey life for me anyway.”
At this point I think we can call for a moratorium on any and all stories about Peter Forsberg and whether or not he wants to come back to the NHL. He hasn’t been in the NHL since 2007-2008, he’s been playing on and off in Sweden since then and still hasn’t been able to stay healthy.
Unless Forsberg gets a bionic foot, a stem cell infusion or becomes a full-blown cyborg, the chances of him returning to the NHL are really slim. It’s a shame that a once great player has his legacy somewhat Brett Favre’d like this, but at the same time it’s a credit to his popularity both in Denver and in Sweden.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)