Sep 14, 2010, 9:38 PM EST
The Boston Bruins, never seemingly set to have enough actual punch in their lineup, are bringing in a fighting specialist on a tryout. Former Senators and Flames enforcer Brian McGrattan will be putting on the foil during training camp for the Bruins and his pedigree speaks for itself.
While his NHL work is a bit scattered, he’s got a legendary record in the AHL for single-season penalty minutes with a staggering 551 compiled in 2004-2005 with Binghamton. What’s even more stunning about that record is he did it in 71 games, good for 7.7 PIMs per game.
If Shawn Thornton needs any motivation to do his job with his fists this year in Boston, McGrattan should provide enough of a scare to last for a while. Of course, Thornton can do a bit more than just fight, so he’s got that going for him. For sheer scare purposes though, McGrattan has the edge in spades.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)