Sep 13, 2010, 5:16 PM EST
While other teams are getting the last of their restricted free agents into camp, the Dallas Stars continue to plod along with negotiations of their own. There are just four restricted free agents left to be signed this off-season and Dallas has two of them in James Neal and Matt Niskanen (the others are Bobby Ryan of Anaheim and New York’s Marc Staal).
Stars fans are likely getting nervous about things but Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News says that negotiations are ongoing with both players.
The agent for Niskanen, Neil Sheehy, said he expects to meet with the Stars Tuesday in Traverse City, Mich., where the Stars prospects are participating in an eight-team tournament. The agent for Neal, Pat Morris, said he continues to have talks with the Stars.
“We will continue to negotiate with the goal to getting a deal done that is representative of James’ progress and stature as the 2nd leading goal scorer for Dallas last year and over the last 2 seasons,” Morris wrote in an e-mail.
The Stars are swimming in cap space, but it’s apparent that their internal budget is what’s slowing things down in a big way to get both of these players signed. Other restricted free agents haven’t had budget-busting deals made for them this year, and the handful that did score big contracts did so to get some of their unrestricted free agent years bought out.
We don’t know what the specifics are with both Neal and Niskanen’s negotiations are, but if the quibbles are over incremental amounts of money, that’s enough to make anyone in Dallas nervous about the state of the franchise while they wait for a new owner to step up.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35