Sep 13, 2010, 1:13 PM EST
We talked about Canucks GM Mike Gillis meeting with Roberto Luongo this morning to discuss his future as team captain and as it turns out, Roberto Luongo will be relinquishing his role as Canucks team captain. Gillis’ thoughts on the move, per the team’s release on the matter:
“Roberto has been an excellent captain for our team the past two seasons,” said Mike Gillis. “We respect and support his decision to relinquish the captaincy and are confident that he will continue to help lead our team through his tremendous character and work ethic both on and off of the ice.”
As for Luongo, he was happy to be moving on for the sake of the team.
“I am honored to have served as captain of the Vancouver Canucks for the past two seasons,” said Roberto Luongo. “Being captain in a Canadian city for a team with such passionate fans is a privilege and an experience I will always take pride in. I will continue to be a leader on this team and support my teammates the same way I always have while focusing on our ultimate goal.”
The Canucks will be announcing a new set of leaders before the start of the season. Expect that Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler will be the front-runners for the role of the next captain of the Canucks. The Canucks do have a history of having a Swedish captain as Markus Naslund was once captain of the team. If you were worried that picking a European captain in Vancouver was an issue, it’s not.
A vocal, lead-by-example character like Kesler provides the kind of dynamic that the franchise hasn’t seen in years. The Canucks have lacked the kind of on-ice fire that someone like Kesler can provide and it’s shown the last two years in their playoff exits at the hands of the Chicago Blackhawks.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 1
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 16
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)