Sep 13, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
The second (approved) Ilya Kovalchuk contract will cost the New Jersey Devils $100 million over 15 years, a $6.6 million annual cap hit and possibly a mid-level roster player, but the first failed one won’t be cheap either.
The Devils will sacrifice a first-round draft pick in one of the next four Entry Drafts as well as their third-round draft pick in 2011. The Devils will determine in which year between 2011 and 2014 they will surrender their first-round pick, and they are to advise the NHL the day after the Stanley Cup Final ends in that calendar year.
The NHL has also issued the Devils a fine of $3 million, but per the terms of the global settlement reached between the NHL and NHLPA earlier this month the Devils will not have to sacrifice any salary cap money.
So in other words, the fine will cost the Devils $3 million in real money but won’t have a cap impact, one first round draft pick in the next four years and a 2011 third round pick. The team will get a chance to gauge its needs (and the quality of that year’s draft) before deciding which year’s first rounder they want to give up. This could have an interesting impact on Devils in trading situations as they wouldn’t be able to trade away a first rounder in one of those four years.
The NHL is clearly making an example of the Devils, as this is a pretty heavy fine. It seems a bit unfair that they were singled out when there were other questionable contracts handed out, but Lou Lamoriello and Co. did go over-the-top with those terms. At least it didn’t hurt their already-challenged cap space, though.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)