Sep 13, 2010, 11:57 AM EST
You can take another restricted free agent off the waiting list for a contract. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun tweets that the Atlanta Thrashers have re-signed scoring forward Niclas Bergfors to a one-year deal worth $900,000. This now sets Atlanta’s lineup for training camp as Bergfors was the last loose end to get taken care of.
Bergfors was obtained from New Jersey in the Ilya Kovalchuk trade last season and he did well getting consistent ice time with Atlanta scoring eight goals and notching nine assists in 27 games. At 23 years-old, Bergfors has a lot of time ahead of him to continue improving and with the way the Thrashers appear to be heading, now would make for a really good time to have a big breakout season.
All told, Bergfors’ 2009-2010 season was outstanding totaling 21 goals and 23 assists with New Jersey and Atlanta, so the skills are there. The Thrashers are probably going to be more eager to pay up for him next year if he’s able to improve on those totals.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)