Sep 13, 2010, 11:57 AM EST
You can take another restricted free agent off the waiting list for a contract. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun tweets that the Atlanta Thrashers have re-signed scoring forward Niclas Bergfors to a one-year deal worth $900,000. This now sets Atlanta’s lineup for training camp as Bergfors was the last loose end to get taken care of.
Bergfors was obtained from New Jersey in the Ilya Kovalchuk trade last season and he did well getting consistent ice time with Atlanta scoring eight goals and notching nine assists in 27 games. At 23 years-old, Bergfors has a lot of time ahead of him to continue improving and with the way the Thrashers appear to be heading, now would make for a really good time to have a big breakout season.
All told, Bergfors’ 2009-2010 season was outstanding totaling 21 goals and 23 assists with New Jersey and Atlanta, so the skills are there. The Thrashers are probably going to be more eager to pay up for him next year if he’s able to improve on those totals.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 145
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 117
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (145)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (117)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)