Sep 12, 2010, 8:35 PM EDT
The career of Thrashers prospect Angelo Esposito has been one fraught with issues both on and off the ice. Off the ice, he’s the key piece leftover from the Thrashers trade with the Penguins back in 2008 that sent Marian Hossa to the Penguins. On the ice, the former first round pick has had a hard time staying in the game after suffering a litany of injuries. This year, Esposito looks to turn that all around as Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution found out.
Esposito first tore his ACL in a Quebec Major Junior Hockey League game 19 months ago. Recovered and assigned to Chicago of the American Hockey League, he tore the same ACL in November after 12 games.
Esposito, 21, returned to Atlanta, had surgery in December and the second rehab process began.
“I felt different right away,” the forward said. “I was rehabbing the next day [after the injury]. Right off the bat, I already knew what it was going into it. Right off the bat, I was doing things before surgery so I would feel better right away.”
Going through one awful knee injury is bad enough. Going through the same thing twice is putrid and for a hockey player where you’re always moving and always starting and stopping, going through knee injuries like with your ACL is brutal beyond belief. Esposito has a ton of talent, but it’s been a long time since he was the top pick of the Pittsburgh Penguins and it’s really unclear how those injuries are going to effect his play and skating. If all things pan out for the best, the Marian Hossa trade might turn out for the best for Atlanta.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)