Sep 12, 2010, 8:35 PM EST
The career of Thrashers prospect Angelo Esposito has been one fraught with issues both on and off the ice. Off the ice, he’s the key piece leftover from the Thrashers trade with the Penguins back in 2008 that sent Marian Hossa to the Penguins. On the ice, the former first round pick has had a hard time staying in the game after suffering a litany of injuries. This year, Esposito looks to turn that all around as Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution found out.
Esposito first tore his ACL in a Quebec Major Junior Hockey League game 19 months ago. Recovered and assigned to Chicago of the American Hockey League, he tore the same ACL in November after 12 games.
Esposito, 21, returned to Atlanta, had surgery in December and the second rehab process began.
“I felt different right away,” the forward said. “I was rehabbing the next day [after the injury]. Right off the bat, I already knew what it was going into it. Right off the bat, I was doing things before surgery so I would feel better right away.”
Going through one awful knee injury is bad enough. Going through the same thing twice is putrid and for a hockey player where you’re always moving and always starting and stopping, going through knee injuries like with your ACL is brutal beyond belief. Esposito has a ton of talent, but it’s been a long time since he was the top pick of the Pittsburgh Penguins and it’s really unclear how those injuries are going to effect his play and skating. If all things pan out for the best, the Marian Hossa trade might turn out for the best for Atlanta.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 15
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 16
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 7
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8