Sep 12, 2010, 7:58 PM EDT
While all the attention during this rookie camp is going to be focused on the top two picks from the 2010 NHL Draft in Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin, the #3 pick Erik Gudbranson is going to be another player worth keeping an eye on. The Florida Sun Sentinel’s Harvey Fialkov caught up with Gudbranson to find out how he’s handling his first camp with the Panthers and what his expectations are going into this season.
“The level of competition just went way up. It skyrocketed. I don’t feel like I’m in the OHL anymore. I was bigger and stronger than most of the guys there; now I’m one of the little guys again. It was fun; it was hard; it was competitive. Based on what I see out there, we can have a great team this year if I stay and everybody else comes together as a team.”
“My hopes are to stay here; that’s my goal. I came here packed to stay to be honest with you. I’m not going to sell myself short of that. That’s what I worked for this summer. I want to make this team. This is where I want to be this year.”
The way the Panthers are set up along the blue line right now, they don’t necessarily need to rush Gudbranson to the NHL. They can have him head back to junior hockey and develop a bit more and continue to grow into his game. While Gudbranson may ultimately be one of the more talented guys that the Panthers will work out and give the chance to make the team, it’s an odd luxury for them to not need to bring him in immediately.
Then again, the Panthers potential blue line doesn’t really inspire fear or much worry of being shut down by opponents with the likes of Dmitry Kulikov and Bryan McCabe being the biggest names there. Guys like Mike Weaver and Nathan Paetsch, despite some of their abilities, aren’t game breakers. Gudbranson will get his time, he’ll just have to really knock Dale Tallon and Pete DeBoer’s socks off to have it be this year.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)