Sep 12, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT
The man known as “Rod the Bod” may soon be known as “Rod the Suit.”
The beaten-up former face of the Carolina Hurricanes franchise (after Ron Francis) was given a funky title today, as GM Jim Rutherford announced that the team named Rod Brind’amour its “Director of Forwards Development.”
Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that Rod Brind’Amour has been named director of forwards development for the team. Brind’Amour, who officially retired from hockey on June 30, 2010, is responsible for working with all forwards in the Hurricanes system, including drafted players in the Canadian major-junior hockey leagues, ECHL and American Hockey League (AHL). In addition to his work with the team’s prospects, Brind’Amour will also spend time on the ice with the Hurricanes’ NHL players during training camp and throughout the season.
“It is important for our team to have its most-accomplished players like Rod stay with the organization,” said Rutherford. “Rod is already displaying the same work ethic and dedication in his new role as he did with us as a player.”
Considering the steep decline in his productivity the last two seasons, he probably acted in that coach/mentor-type role quite some time before he retired. It’s a slightly silly title, but it seems to be a glorified way to pay him to stay around a team that clearly values his presence and gives Brind’amour a chance to get his feet wet as a coach or front office member at the same time.
The Hurricanes really didn’t do much this off-season, so they’ll need to get the most out of the players who were already in their system. Rutherford and Co. are hoping that Brind’amour can help them do just that.
Update: Carolyn Christians points out that the club has done this sort of thing before; retired defenseman Glen Wesley holds the title of Director of Defensemen Development. The Appreciative Association of Alliteration* approves.
* – I just made that group up.
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 3
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 9
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 24
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 84
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 99
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)