Sep 12, 2010, 12:20 PM EST
The man known as “Rod the Bod” may soon be known as “Rod the Suit.”
The beaten-up former face of the Carolina Hurricanes franchise (after Ron Francis) was given a funky title today, as GM Jim Rutherford announced that the team named Rod Brind’amour its “Director of Forwards Development.”
Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that Rod Brind’Amour has been named director of forwards development for the team. Brind’Amour, who officially retired from hockey on June 30, 2010, is responsible for working with all forwards in the Hurricanes system, including drafted players in the Canadian major-junior hockey leagues, ECHL and American Hockey League (AHL). In addition to his work with the team’s prospects, Brind’Amour will also spend time on the ice with the Hurricanes’ NHL players during training camp and throughout the season.
“It is important for our team to have its most-accomplished players like Rod stay with the organization,” said Rutherford. “Rod is already displaying the same work ethic and dedication in his new role as he did with us as a player.”
Considering the steep decline in his productivity the last two seasons, he probably acted in that coach/mentor-type role quite some time before he retired. It’s a slightly silly title, but it seems to be a glorified way to pay him to stay around a team that clearly values his presence and gives Brind’amour a chance to get his feet wet as a coach or front office member at the same time.
The Hurricanes really didn’t do much this off-season, so they’ll need to get the most out of the players who were already in their system. Rutherford and Co. are hoping that Brind’amour can help them do just that.
Update: Carolyn Christians points out that the club has done this sort of thing before; retired defenseman Glen Wesley holds the title of Director of Defensemen Development. The Appreciative Association of Alliteration* approves.
* – I just made that group up.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 6
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46