Sep 11, 2010, 11:50 PM EST
For some people, the NHL season won’t really begin until the regular season starts on Thursday, October 7. Still, hockey nuts will lap up every little bit of puck-based competition they can get, and the first sample is in the rookie tournaments taking place in three areas.
Let’s take a look at the results from the games.
Traverse City Prospects Tournament (box scores via Points Streak.com)
Tyler Johnson and Joel Broda scored in the first period for Minnesota, with Johnson’s goal coming on the powerplay. Jarod Palmer had two assists for the Wild. Mike McKenzie scored for Carolina in the third period, but they fell short as the Wild took the win.
Carolina goalie Mike Murphy stopped 21 out of 23 shots while Matt Hackett made 29 out of 30 saves for Minnesota.
Evgeny Grachev scored the game’s last two goals to win the game for the Rangers. Grachev’s game winner came with only six seconds remaining in the game. Thomas Kubalik’s scored two goals for the Columbus Blue Jackets in a losing cause.
Brett Sonne scored two goals for the Blues, including the game winner in the second period. It was a good game for Brett’s in general, as Lightning first round pick Brett Connolly scored both of the Lightning’s goals.
The Red Wings “won” all three periods (4-1 in the first, 1-0 in the second and third) with the opening period involving the biggest beating. US World Junior team hero Jack Campbell had a rough one, but Stars fans shouldn’t give up on his potential just yet.
London, Ontario Prospects Tournament
Toronto 6, Chicago 3
I imagine 99 percent of Blackhawks fans either don’t know about this one or don’t care, but Toronto folks covered it nicely. Check out the ridiculous GIFs all over the comments section of the Leafs blog Pension Plan Puppets for more proof. Oh, and if you have six minutes, here’s a video summary of the game.
(Thanks to Carolyn Christians for the box score tip. There weren’t any games in the Young Stars Tournament today.)
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 17
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)