Sep 11, 2010, 11:50 PM EST
For some people, the NHL season won’t really begin until the regular season starts on Thursday, October 7. Still, hockey nuts will lap up every little bit of puck-based competition they can get, and the first sample is in the rookie tournaments taking place in three areas.
Let’s take a look at the results from the games.
Traverse City Prospects Tournament (box scores via Points Streak.com)
Tyler Johnson and Joel Broda scored in the first period for Minnesota, with Johnson’s goal coming on the powerplay. Jarod Palmer had two assists for the Wild. Mike McKenzie scored for Carolina in the third period, but they fell short as the Wild took the win.
Carolina goalie Mike Murphy stopped 21 out of 23 shots while Matt Hackett made 29 out of 30 saves for Minnesota.
Evgeny Grachev scored the game’s last two goals to win the game for the Rangers. Grachev’s game winner came with only six seconds remaining in the game. Thomas Kubalik’s scored two goals for the Columbus Blue Jackets in a losing cause.
Brett Sonne scored two goals for the Blues, including the game winner in the second period. It was a good game for Brett’s in general, as Lightning first round pick Brett Connolly scored both of the Lightning’s goals.
The Red Wings “won” all three periods (4-1 in the first, 1-0 in the second and third) with the opening period involving the biggest beating. US World Junior team hero Jack Campbell had a rough one, but Stars fans shouldn’t give up on his potential just yet.
London, Ontario Prospects Tournament
Toronto 6, Chicago 3
I imagine 99 percent of Blackhawks fans either don’t know about this one or don’t care, but Toronto folks covered it nicely. Check out the ridiculous GIFs all over the comments section of the Leafs blog Pension Plan Puppets for more proof. Oh, and if you have six minutes, here’s a video summary of the game.
(Thanks to Carolyn Christians for the box score tip. There weren’t any games in the Young Stars Tournament today.)
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 23
- Mike Richards clears waivers 29
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)