Sep 11, 2010, 11:50 PM EDT
For some people, the NHL season won’t really begin until the regular season starts on Thursday, October 7. Still, hockey nuts will lap up every little bit of puck-based competition they can get, and the first sample is in the rookie tournaments taking place in three areas.
Let’s take a look at the results from the games.
Traverse City Prospects Tournament (box scores via Points Streak.com)
Tyler Johnson and Joel Broda scored in the first period for Minnesota, with Johnson’s goal coming on the powerplay. Jarod Palmer had two assists for the Wild. Mike McKenzie scored for Carolina in the third period, but they fell short as the Wild took the win.
Carolina goalie Mike Murphy stopped 21 out of 23 shots while Matt Hackett made 29 out of 30 saves for Minnesota.
Evgeny Grachev scored the game’s last two goals to win the game for the Rangers. Grachev’s game winner came with only six seconds remaining in the game. Thomas Kubalik’s scored two goals for the Columbus Blue Jackets in a losing cause.
Brett Sonne scored two goals for the Blues, including the game winner in the second period. It was a good game for Brett’s in general, as Lightning first round pick Brett Connolly scored both of the Lightning’s goals.
The Red Wings “won” all three periods (4-1 in the first, 1-0 in the second and third) with the opening period involving the biggest beating. US World Junior team hero Jack Campbell had a rough one, but Stars fans shouldn’t give up on his potential just yet.
London, Ontario Prospects Tournament
Toronto 6, Chicago 3
I imagine 99 percent of Blackhawks fans either don’t know about this one or don’t care, but Toronto folks covered it nicely. Check out the ridiculous GIFs all over the comments section of the Leafs blog Pension Plan Puppets for more proof. Oh, and if you have six minutes, here’s a video summary of the game.
(Thanks to Carolyn Christians for the box score tip. There weren’t any games in the Young Stars Tournament today.)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)