Sep 11, 2010, 10:37 AM EDT
The best news that might emerge from the Kings’ rookie camp arrived Friday, before the first prospect took the ice in El Segundo.
According to General Manager Dean Lombardi, an MRI exam performed Friday on the knee of prized prospect Brayden Schenn showed no structural damage, leaving Schenn’s status day to day.
Schenn, a contender to center the second line, hurt his knee Tuesday while practicing with his junior team. The mishap sparked rumors he would be out weeks or months, which apparently isn’t true. Lombardi said Schenn will continue treatment and rehabilitation and will be reevaluated daily.
In other words, the initial worries were much ado about nothing. Given the reaction by Kings fans, perhaps we’ve now got a new contender for most panicky fan base in the NHL. The expectations are high this year for the Kings and while it’s a toss-up whether or not Schenn would make the Kings this year or be sent back to Brandon for another year of junior development, it’s unclear. With this injury not being serious the Kings get to still evaluate him as to whether or not he’s pro-ready and we all get to needle Kings fans for being worrywarts.
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 9
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 14
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 121
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 64
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (122)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)