Sep 11, 2010, 9:48 AM EDT
With today marking the 9th anniversary of the terrible events on September 11, 2001 the hockey world reflects on two of their own that were lost in the events of that day. Garnet “Ace” Bailey and Mark Bavis were on United Airlines flight 175, one of two planes that crashed into the World Trade Center. Both Bailey and Bavis were working for the Los Angeles Kings as scouts and were on their way back to Los Angeles from Boston that morning to prepare for the start of the season.
Today, their memory is marked in one of the more peculiar ways in the form of a race horse named Aces Mark making its first start at Belmont Park, an ironic twist that wasn’t intended to be.
Long-time Ottawa Senators scout Lew Mongelluzzo will skip the first day of the team’s prospect tournament in London, Ont., to attend the race at Belmont. He operates Team Power Play Racing, which owns Aces Mark, and will be thinking of his former colleagues on the ninth anniversary of their death.
“There’s no better word for it than bittersweet,” Mongelluzzo said Friday. “As much as you get excited about the race–we feel the horse is doing well and going to perform well–it takes a split second to remember everything that’s gone wrong and why we’re here.
“The reality is that it’s not a happy time.”
No one will ever forget what happened on that day, and having the hockey world be all the more entangled in what happened that day makes the day all the more painful for everyone connected to the game. I’m sure all of us will be pulling for Aces Mark to come away with the win today.
If you’re hoping to make a positive contribution on this day, visiting the websites set up in honor or Bailey and Bavis like the Ace Bailey Children’s Foundation and Mark Bavis Leadership Foundation each have wonderful charities in which to support.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (76)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)