Sep 11, 2010, 9:10 PM EDT
A lot of lives were impacted on that horrible day on September 11, 2001. Two prominent hockey figures died on that day as scouts Mark Bavis and Garnet “Ace” Bailey were part of the Boston flight that crashed into the South Tower at the World Trade Center. An Ottawa Senators scout named a thoroughbred horse in the honor of the two scouts, naming the race horse Aces Mark.
Aces Mark, the 6-year-old gelding named in honor of two National Hockey League scouts killed during the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, finished second, beaten three-quarters of a length in the eighth race.
Aces Mark made the lead in upper stretch under John Velazquez, but couldn’t hold off Hear the Footsteps. Aces Mark is named for Ace Bailey and Mark Bavis, who were on United Airlines flight 175 from Boston, which crashed into the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.
Congratulations to the horse’s owner Lew Mongelluzzo and the family and friends of those two fallen scouts. Naturally, this doesn’t make up for the loss of Bavis and Bailey, but it’s nice that the horse named in their honor is a success.
(H/T to Life in Hockeywood.)
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 5
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)