Sep 11, 2010, 9:10 PM EST
A lot of lives were impacted on that horrible day on September 11, 2001. Two prominent hockey figures died on that day as scouts Mark Bavis and Garnet “Ace” Bailey were part of the Boston flight that crashed into the South Tower at the World Trade Center. An Ottawa Senators scout named a thoroughbred horse in the honor of the two scouts, naming the race horse Aces Mark.
Aces Mark, the 6-year-old gelding named in honor of two National Hockey League scouts killed during the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, finished second, beaten three-quarters of a length in the eighth race.
Aces Mark made the lead in upper stretch under John Velazquez, but couldn’t hold off Hear the Footsteps. Aces Mark is named for Ace Bailey and Mark Bavis, who were on United Airlines flight 175 from Boston, which crashed into the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.
Congratulations to the horse’s owner Lew Mongelluzzo and the family and friends of those two fallen scouts. Naturally, this doesn’t make up for the loss of Bavis and Bailey, but it’s nice that the horse named in their honor is a success.
(H/T to Life in Hockeywood.)
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)