Sep 11, 2010, 9:10 PM EDT
A lot of lives were impacted on that horrible day on September 11, 2001. Two prominent hockey figures died on that day as scouts Mark Bavis and Garnet “Ace” Bailey were part of the Boston flight that crashed into the South Tower at the World Trade Center. An Ottawa Senators scout named a thoroughbred horse in the honor of the two scouts, naming the race horse Aces Mark.
Aces Mark, the 6-year-old gelding named in honor of two National Hockey League scouts killed during the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, finished second, beaten three-quarters of a length in the eighth race.
Aces Mark made the lead in upper stretch under John Velazquez, but couldn’t hold off Hear the Footsteps. Aces Mark is named for Ace Bailey and Mark Bavis, who were on United Airlines flight 175 from Boston, which crashed into the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.
Congratulations to the horse’s owner Lew Mongelluzzo and the family and friends of those two fallen scouts. Naturally, this doesn’t make up for the loss of Bavis and Bailey, but it’s nice that the horse named in their honor is a success.
(H/T to Life in Hockeywood.)
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 6
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 12
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 116
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (116)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)