Sep 10, 2010, 1:15 PM EST
It’s hard to root against Jarome Iginla.
He’s a great role model for hopeful black hockey players, a leader willing to drop the gloves with a wide array of opponents and just seems like a quality human being overall. Sure, Sean Avery might make fun of him for being bland, but what Iginla lacks in flash he makes up for it in sheer likability.
Still, there’s little doubt that Iginla’s game declined considerably as the right winger’s point total dropped from 89 in 08-09 to 69 points last season. Stats blog Behind the Net posits the question: what can the Calgary Flames expect from Iginla?
Iginla’s been an ironman for the last three seasons, but any player over age 30 has a huge injury risk. In this case, his 3-2-1 average projection is a vast overestimate of his likely performance. It’s really a tough call: the most likely outcome is that Iginla doesn’t get hurt and he puts up numbers similar to last season, but there’s a high likelihood that he falls apart.
Injuries or not, it’s going to be a challenging season for Jarome Iginla and the Calgary Flames. While it’s hard to imagine many Flames fans shedding a tear if the team gets rid of the Sutter brothers, Iosing Iginla would hurt quite a bit more. His salary cap hit is a substantial $7 million per year for three more seasons, so the Flames might be forced to trade their captain while he still has trade value if he doesn’t turn things around.
What kind of season should the Flames expect from their aging captain and leader? Chances are, they might expect too much.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 19
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 10
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 25
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11