Sep 10, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
It’s hard to root against Jarome Iginla.
He’s a great role model for hopeful black hockey players, a leader willing to drop the gloves with a wide array of opponents and just seems like a quality human being overall. Sure, Sean Avery might make fun of him for being bland, but what Iginla lacks in flash he makes up for it in sheer likability.
Still, there’s little doubt that Iginla’s game declined considerably as the right winger’s point total dropped from 89 in 08-09 to 69 points last season. Stats blog Behind the Net posits the question: what can the Calgary Flames expect from Iginla?
Iginla’s been an ironman for the last three seasons, but any player over age 30 has a huge injury risk. In this case, his 3-2-1 average projection is a vast overestimate of his likely performance. It’s really a tough call: the most likely outcome is that Iginla doesn’t get hurt and he puts up numbers similar to last season, but there’s a high likelihood that he falls apart.
Injuries or not, it’s going to be a challenging season for Jarome Iginla and the Calgary Flames. While it’s hard to imagine many Flames fans shedding a tear if the team gets rid of the Sutter brothers, Iosing Iginla would hurt quite a bit more. His salary cap hit is a substantial $7 million per year for three more seasons, so the Flames might be forced to trade their captain while he still has trade value if he doesn’t turn things around.
What kind of season should the Flames expect from their aging captain and leader? Chances are, they might expect too much.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 8
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 35
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)