Sep 10, 2010, 5:50 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes solved their largest remaining on-ice issue today, wrapping up 6’5″ forward Martin Hanzal to a two-year deal that ESPN’s EJ Hradek reports will be worth $1.5 million during the 2010-11 season and $2.1 million in 11-12. That deal will register a $1.8 million annual salary cap hit.
Hanzal hovers around 30-something points per season (33, 31 and 35 points in his three seasons in the NHL) while providing a substantial presence as a big two-way forward. He registered a career-high 104 PIM in 2009-10, so if he improves his scoring punch a bit he might be an interesting choice in fantasy hockey.
His deal is a slightly scaled down version of Peter Mueller’s and while Hanzal won’t approach the former Coyotes forward’s level of offense, he too has a great chance of exceeding the value of his deal. Hanzal is the kind of physical, defensive-minded forward who is especially useful in hindering some of the Pacific division’s biggest pivots including Joe Thornton and Anze Kopitar.
Don Maloney earned the first ever GM of the Year award for his work in the 2009-10 season and he’s putting himself in position to earn it for the second year in a row. I really like what he’s done this off-season, even if most of his moves are on the less-than-flashy level.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 150
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (151)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)