Sep 9, 2010, 8:15 PM EDT
It was a bit of a surprise when the St. Louis Blues shipped a couple prospects to the Montreal Canadiens to gain Jaroslav Halak’s restricted free agent bargaining rights, but it’s tough to blame the frequently goalie-challenged franchise for taking a swing at one of the breakout stars of the 2010 playoffs. Many people wonder if the longtime backup turned short time Habs savior will ever match those previous heights, but the Blues clearly are excited to have the Slovakian netminder aboard.
Here’s video of the team’s press conference introducing Halak to Blues fans and media.
While the PR-coached interviews and press conferences are a nice celebration of Halak’s arrival, you might also be interested to see what kind of mask he’ll wear next season. As it turns out, He will wear two different masks in 2010-11.
The first features the St. Louis skyline as well as some of the club’s best goalies: Jacques Plante, Mike Liut and Grant Fuhr (sorry Curtis Joseph). Here are some shots of that mask from the Blues Web site.
(click to enlarge,
(click to enlarge, photo from the Blues)
The second includes renderings of Halak’s favorite childhood cartoon, Lucky Luke (not to be confused with the “Lucky Luc” Robitaille). Here are some photos of the second mask from the Blues Web site and St. Louis Post-Dispatch beat writer Jeremy Rutherford.
(click to enlarge,
(click to enlarge, image via Jeremy Rutherford.)
I’m not sure if he’ll wear one mask more than the other or if he’ll rotate one for road games vs. home games, but they are both decent if not amazing designs. It’s always nice to pay tribute to the history of a franchise and Halak is wise to honor the Blues’ long history in the NHL.
If things go well, a future goalie’s mask might just feature an artist’s rendering of Halak himself.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)