Sep 9, 2010, 4:33 PM EDT
The free agent crunch has been a theme we’ve hit from all sides this summer and yet another player is packing his things up and heading to Europe after being unable to land a deal in the NHL. Former Wild and Islanders forward Richard Park is packing his bags to join the Swiss Elite League.
Coach Chris McSorley says the 34-year-old winger chose Geneva-Servette over NHL and European teams.
McSorley tells The Associated Press he spoke with the Islanders’ Swiss defenceman Mark Streit about Park before making him the top off-season acquisition. The club lost to Bern in the Swiss playoff finals last season in game seven.
It’s tough to see useful players like Park leave the NHL but this is just how it goes these days. While Park isn’t a superstar by any means, his work in a checking role and on the penalty kill was always top-notch. Getting squeezed out of a job in the NHL stinks for guys like Park. What the effect it will have on those roles in the NHL remains to be seen.
Clearly many teams feel that roles like this can be assumed by those from within the organization or for less money via free agency. We’ll have to wait and see if it pans out or if NHL teams will indeed be hoping to bring back players like Richard Park to take care of those roles.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 1
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 43
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 75
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks