Sep 9, 2010, 4:33 PM EDT
The free agent crunch has been a theme we’ve hit from all sides this summer and yet another player is packing his things up and heading to Europe after being unable to land a deal in the NHL. Former Wild and Islanders forward Richard Park is packing his bags to join the Swiss Elite League.
Coach Chris McSorley says the 34-year-old winger chose Geneva-Servette over NHL and European teams.
McSorley tells The Associated Press he spoke with the Islanders’ Swiss defenceman Mark Streit about Park before making him the top off-season acquisition. The club lost to Bern in the Swiss playoff finals last season in game seven.
It’s tough to see useful players like Park leave the NHL but this is just how it goes these days. While Park isn’t a superstar by any means, his work in a checking role and on the penalty kill was always top-notch. Getting squeezed out of a job in the NHL stinks for guys like Park. What the effect it will have on those roles in the NHL remains to be seen.
Clearly many teams feel that roles like this can be assumed by those from within the organization or for less money via free agency. We’ll have to wait and see if it pans out or if NHL teams will indeed be hoping to bring back players like Richard Park to take care of those roles.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 13
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 7
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 30
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)