Sep 9, 2010, 5:53 PM EDT
If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to get your ego punched, perhaps consulting Red Wings forward/defenseman Derek Meech might be in order. Yesterday, Meech was waived by the team and today we find out that he’s cleared waivers.Ted Kulfan of The Detroit News shares this.
Derek Meech cleared waivers and will be in training camp with the Red Wings. His future in the organization, though, appears cloudy at best. If the Wings remain healthy through the exhibition season, Meech will start the season in Grand Rapids.
While we’ve seen this happen with a handful of other players this summer (notably Sheldon Souray) those players had very pricey contracts. Meech, on the other hand, is making league minimum. If a guy making the league minimum can’t get picked up on waivers, what hope is there for just about anyone? That said, Meech is in the running for the seventh defenseman spot in Detroit more than likely and will compete with Jakub Kindl for the spot.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5