Sep 9, 2010, 5:53 PM EST
If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to get your ego punched, perhaps consulting Red Wings forward/defenseman Derek Meech might be in order. Yesterday, Meech was waived by the team and today we find out that he’s cleared waivers.Ted Kulfan of The Detroit News shares this.
Derek Meech cleared waivers and will be in training camp with the Red Wings. His future in the organization, though, appears cloudy at best. If the Wings remain healthy through the exhibition season, Meech will start the season in Grand Rapids.
While we’ve seen this happen with a handful of other players this summer (notably Sheldon Souray) those players had very pricey contracts. Meech, on the other hand, is making league minimum. If a guy making the league minimum can’t get picked up on waivers, what hope is there for just about anyone? That said, Meech is in the running for the seventh defenseman spot in Detroit more than likely and will compete with Jakub Kindl for the spot.
- Luongo leaves game, Panthers in bind with Montoya also hurt 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)