Sep 9, 2010, 5:53 PM EDT
If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to get your ego punched, perhaps consulting Red Wings forward/defenseman Derek Meech might be in order. Yesterday, Meech was waived by the team and today we find out that he’s cleared waivers.Ted Kulfan of The Detroit News shares this.
Derek Meech cleared waivers and will be in training camp with the Red Wings. His future in the organization, though, appears cloudy at best. If the Wings remain healthy through the exhibition season, Meech will start the season in Grand Rapids.
While we’ve seen this happen with a handful of other players this summer (notably Sheldon Souray) those players had very pricey contracts. Meech, on the other hand, is making league minimum. If a guy making the league minimum can’t get picked up on waivers, what hope is there for just about anyone? That said, Meech is in the running for the seventh defenseman spot in Detroit more than likely and will compete with Jakub Kindl for the spot.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 23
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 31
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)