Sep 9, 2010, 5:53 PM EST
If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to get your ego punched, perhaps consulting Red Wings forward/defenseman Derek Meech might be in order. Yesterday, Meech was waived by the team and today we find out that he’s cleared waivers.Ted Kulfan of The Detroit News shares this.
Derek Meech cleared waivers and will be in training camp with the Red Wings. His future in the organization, though, appears cloudy at best. If the Wings remain healthy through the exhibition season, Meech will start the season in Grand Rapids.
While we’ve seen this happen with a handful of other players this summer (notably Sheldon Souray) those players had very pricey contracts. Meech, on the other hand, is making league minimum. If a guy making the league minimum can’t get picked up on waivers, what hope is there for just about anyone? That said, Meech is in the running for the seventh defenseman spot in Detroit more than likely and will compete with Jakub Kindl for the spot.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)