Sep 9, 2010, 5:53 PM EDT
If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to get your ego punched, perhaps consulting Red Wings forward/defenseman Derek Meech might be in order. Yesterday, Meech was waived by the team and today we find out that he’s cleared waivers.Ted Kulfan of The Detroit News shares this.
Derek Meech cleared waivers and will be in training camp with the Red Wings. His future in the organization, though, appears cloudy at best. If the Wings remain healthy through the exhibition season, Meech will start the season in Grand Rapids.
While we’ve seen this happen with a handful of other players this summer (notably Sheldon Souray) those players had very pricey contracts. Meech, on the other hand, is making league minimum. If a guy making the league minimum can’t get picked up on waivers, what hope is there for just about anyone? That said, Meech is in the running for the seventh defenseman spot in Detroit more than likely and will compete with Jakub Kindl for the spot.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39