Sep 9, 2010, 10:02 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings will be holding their breath a bit while they await news on how severe an injury is to one of their top prospects. Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider lays the bad news on us.
According to the Kings, prospect Brayden Schenn suffered a knee injury during a training session in Canada. Schenn is headed to Los Angeles for an MRI tomorrow, and at the moment there is no timetable for his return to the ice.
If the name Schenn rings a bell with you, it’s because he’s the younger brother of Leafs defenseman Luke Schenn. Brayden Schenn, unlike his brother, is a centerman and was/is looking at an outside shot of making the Kings out of training camp this year. Schenn was the Kings first round pick in 2009 (5th overall) and was likely ticketed to rejoin his junior team, the Brandon Wheat Kings, if he didn’t make the Kings.
It’s unknown as to how bad his injury is so getting antsy and speculating seems a bit reckless. That said, if it’s a significant injury, setting back his development would be a tough blow for the Kings.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)