Sep 9, 2010, 12:56 PM EDT
There’s some prospect news out of Columbus this morning as the Blue Jackets have signed their 2010 first round pick Ryan Johansen to his three-year entry-level contract officially making him a pro. Aaron Portzline of Puck Rakers has the contract details.
Johansen will make a base salary of $900,000, but the deal could reach $1.975 million if he hits all of his incentives. The first year of the contract does not engage until Johansen plays 10 games in an NHL season.
That’s highly unlikely to happen this season, as Johansen is targeted to return to his junior club in Portland (WHL). But Johansen told The Dispatch earlier this week that he wants to make the decision “as difficult as possible” for the Blue Jackets’ decision-makers, including new coach Scott Arniel.
At least Johansen is keeping things in a good perspective here. The Jackets have done this with their last few first round picks, getting them signed right away and letting things progress in junior hockey. That is unless your name is Nikita Filatov who came to Columbus right away.
Unless Johansen has a completely knockout training camp, it’s almost assured he’ll be heading back to the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL. Then again, no one expected Johansen to be taken so early either so perhaps he’s got one more surprise left to give the Blue Jackets in camp.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)