Sep 9, 2010, 12:56 PM EDT
There’s some prospect news out of Columbus this morning as the Blue Jackets have signed their 2010 first round pick Ryan Johansen to his three-year entry-level contract officially making him a pro. Aaron Portzline of Puck Rakers has the contract details.
Johansen will make a base salary of $900,000, but the deal could reach $1.975 million if he hits all of his incentives. The first year of the contract does not engage until Johansen plays 10 games in an NHL season.
That’s highly unlikely to happen this season, as Johansen is targeted to return to his junior club in Portland (WHL). But Johansen told The Dispatch earlier this week that he wants to make the decision “as difficult as possible” for the Blue Jackets’ decision-makers, including new coach Scott Arniel.
At least Johansen is keeping things in a good perspective here. The Jackets have done this with their last few first round picks, getting them signed right away and letting things progress in junior hockey. That is unless your name is Nikita Filatov who came to Columbus right away.
Unless Johansen has a completely knockout training camp, it’s almost assured he’ll be heading back to the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL. Then again, no one expected Johansen to be taken so early either so perhaps he’s got one more surprise left to give the Blue Jackets in camp.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 31
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 54
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (54)