Sep 9, 2010, 12:56 PM EST
There’s some prospect news out of Columbus this morning as the Blue Jackets have signed their 2010 first round pick Ryan Johansen to his three-year entry-level contract officially making him a pro. Aaron Portzline of Puck Rakers has the contract details.
Johansen will make a base salary of $900,000, but the deal could reach $1.975 million if he hits all of his incentives. The first year of the contract does not engage until Johansen plays 10 games in an NHL season.
That’s highly unlikely to happen this season, as Johansen is targeted to return to his junior club in Portland (WHL). But Johansen told The Dispatch earlier this week that he wants to make the decision “as difficult as possible” for the Blue Jackets’ decision-makers, including new coach Scott Arniel.
At least Johansen is keeping things in a good perspective here. The Jackets have done this with their last few first round picks, getting them signed right away and letting things progress in junior hockey. That is unless your name is Nikita Filatov who came to Columbus right away.
Unless Johansen has a completely knockout training camp, it’s almost assured he’ll be heading back to the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL. Then again, no one expected Johansen to be taken so early either so perhaps he’s got one more surprise left to give the Blue Jackets in camp.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)