Sep 9, 2010, 12:56 PM EDT
There’s some prospect news out of Columbus this morning as the Blue Jackets have signed their 2010 first round pick Ryan Johansen to his three-year entry-level contract officially making him a pro. Aaron Portzline of Puck Rakers has the contract details.
Johansen will make a base salary of $900,000, but the deal could reach $1.975 million if he hits all of his incentives. The first year of the contract does not engage until Johansen plays 10 games in an NHL season.
That’s highly unlikely to happen this season, as Johansen is targeted to return to his junior club in Portland (WHL). But Johansen told The Dispatch earlier this week that he wants to make the decision “as difficult as possible” for the Blue Jackets’ decision-makers, including new coach Scott Arniel.
At least Johansen is keeping things in a good perspective here. The Jackets have done this with their last few first round picks, getting them signed right away and letting things progress in junior hockey. That is unless your name is Nikita Filatov who came to Columbus right away.
Unless Johansen has a completely knockout training camp, it’s almost assured he’ll be heading back to the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL. Then again, no one expected Johansen to be taken so early either so perhaps he’s got one more surprise left to give the Blue Jackets in camp.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 0
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 24
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)