Sep 9, 2010, 12:56 PM EDT
There’s some prospect news out of Columbus this morning as the Blue Jackets have signed their 2010 first round pick Ryan Johansen to his three-year entry-level contract officially making him a pro. Aaron Portzline of Puck Rakers has the contract details.
Johansen will make a base salary of $900,000, but the deal could reach $1.975 million if he hits all of his incentives. The first year of the contract does not engage until Johansen plays 10 games in an NHL season.
That’s highly unlikely to happen this season, as Johansen is targeted to return to his junior club in Portland (WHL). But Johansen told The Dispatch earlier this week that he wants to make the decision “as difficult as possible” for the Blue Jackets’ decision-makers, including new coach Scott Arniel.
At least Johansen is keeping things in a good perspective here. The Jackets have done this with their last few first round picks, getting them signed right away and letting things progress in junior hockey. That is unless your name is Nikita Filatov who came to Columbus right away.
Unless Johansen has a completely knockout training camp, it’s almost assured he’ll be heading back to the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL. Then again, no one expected Johansen to be taken so early either so perhaps he’s got one more surprise left to give the Blue Jackets in camp.
- NHL fines Sharks GM $100K for Torres suspension critique 0
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 18
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 18
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening
- Play Video: Crosby scores twice early on in Game 2