Sep 8, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
While the real story boiled down to a discussion of blogs being credited by mainstream media members and all the teeth gnashing that brings with it, hearing Tomas Kaberle’s father raise doubts about his son’s chances of remaining a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs was still pretty surprising.
Who knows if Tomas Kaberle really agrees with his father, but he downplayed the situation on the record. Here’s the story from TSN.
Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman Tomas Kaberle played on offence Wednesday, telling reporters his relationship with head coach Ron Wilson is between them and does not involve his own father.
There were plenty of eyebrows raised in the city last month when Kaberle’s father Frantisek Kaberle Sr. told Czech hockey magazine Hokej that despite the fact that Tomas has a no-trade clause, he didn’t see his son playing for the Leafs for the whole season.
The veteran blueliner, who is back in Toronto preparing for the start of training camp, explained that his father meant well and was just sticking up for him.
“My father’s opinion I can’t control,” he told a scrum at the team’s practice facility. “Can you control your Dad? I love my Dad, but I don’t agree with everything my father says. That’s normal. And I don’t agree with everything with (my coach). But (especially) when you’re losing, you get into some arguments.”
That being said, I don’t get the feeling coach Wilson (or Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke, for that matter) will be eating Thanksgiving dinner with the Kaberle family any time soon.
I see the Leafs as an odd mix of cast-offs and overpaid players, but the strange thing is that Kaberle’s contract might be one of the team’s least problematic. He might even be a slight bargain when you factor in the somewhat inflated market mid-range defenseman enjoyed in an otherwise dry summer for free agents.
Chances are, Kaberle will be the target of trade speculation in Toronto until his contract expires after this season, whether he has a no-trade clause or not. Who knows, though, the Leafs might end up being glad that they held onto him, after all.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (78)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)