Sep 8, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
While the real story boiled down to a discussion of blogs being credited by mainstream media members and all the teeth gnashing that brings with it, hearing Tomas Kaberle’s father raise doubts about his son’s chances of remaining a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs was still pretty surprising.
Who knows if Tomas Kaberle really agrees with his father, but he downplayed the situation on the record. Here’s the story from TSN.
Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman Tomas Kaberle played on offence Wednesday, telling reporters his relationship with head coach Ron Wilson is between them and does not involve his own father.
There were plenty of eyebrows raised in the city last month when Kaberle’s father Frantisek Kaberle Sr. told Czech hockey magazine Hokej that despite the fact that Tomas has a no-trade clause, he didn’t see his son playing for the Leafs for the whole season.
The veteran blueliner, who is back in Toronto preparing for the start of training camp, explained that his father meant well and was just sticking up for him.
“My father’s opinion I can’t control,” he told a scrum at the team’s practice facility. “Can you control your Dad? I love my Dad, but I don’t agree with everything my father says. That’s normal. And I don’t agree with everything with (my coach). But (especially) when you’re losing, you get into some arguments.”
That being said, I don’t get the feeling coach Wilson (or Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke, for that matter) will be eating Thanksgiving dinner with the Kaberle family any time soon.
I see the Leafs as an odd mix of cast-offs and overpaid players, but the strange thing is that Kaberle’s contract might be one of the team’s least problematic. He might even be a slight bargain when you factor in the somewhat inflated market mid-range defenseman enjoyed in an otherwise dry summer for free agents.
Chances are, Kaberle will be the target of trade speculation in Toronto until his contract expires after this season, whether he has a no-trade clause or not. Who knows, though, the Leafs might end up being glad that they held onto him, after all.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 27
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)