Sep 8, 2010, 4:05 PM EST
It seems like most of the final restricted free agent dominoes are falling into place as training camps approach around the NHL. Bobby Ryan ended his long negotiation process with the Anaheim Ducks last night. Patric Hornqvist reached an amicable agreement with the Nashville Predators. If reports are correct, Marc Staal will follow suit with the New York Rangers.
Sportsnet’s Mike Brophy reports that Staal is nearing an agreement with the Rangers, but doesn’t provide any guesses on the term or financial details of the deal.
The New York Rangers and defenceman Marc Staal are said to be close to reaching an agreement that would keep the Thunder Bay, Ont. Native on Broadway.
Considering the fact that the team is about $84,000 above the salary cap without Staal’s contract according to CapGeek.com, it’s obvious someone might have to go to make room for the steady defensive defenseman. When you factor in his atrocious $6.5 million annual cap hit, it’s natural to wonder if Wade Redden will join the Cristobal Huet Memorial Getting Paid Not to Play in the NHL Club with Michael Nylander and other charter members.
Obviously, this is a rumor without much in details, but it’s reasonable to believe that Staal will want to get his contract settled before training camp begins. We’ll let you know if more information filters through.
(H/T to Patrick Hoffman.)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 67
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)