Sep 8, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
It seems like most of the final restricted free agent dominoes are falling into place as training camps approach around the NHL. Bobby Ryan ended his long negotiation process with the Anaheim Ducks last night. Patric Hornqvist reached an amicable agreement with the Nashville Predators. If reports are correct, Marc Staal will follow suit with the New York Rangers.
Sportsnet’s Mike Brophy reports that Staal is nearing an agreement with the Rangers, but doesn’t provide any guesses on the term or financial details of the deal.
The New York Rangers and defenceman Marc Staal are said to be close to reaching an agreement that would keep the Thunder Bay, Ont. Native on Broadway.
Considering the fact that the team is about $84,000 above the salary cap without Staal’s contract according to CapGeek.com, it’s obvious someone might have to go to make room for the steady defensive defenseman. When you factor in his atrocious $6.5 million annual cap hit, it’s natural to wonder if Wade Redden will join the Cristobal Huet Memorial Getting Paid Not to Play in the NHL Club with Michael Nylander and other charter members.
Obviously, this is a rumor without much in details, but it’s reasonable to believe that Staal will want to get his contract settled before training camp begins. We’ll let you know if more information filters through.
(H/T to Patrick Hoffman.)
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 2
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 12
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 53
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)