Sep 8, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
It seems like most of the final restricted free agent dominoes are falling into place as training camps approach around the NHL. Bobby Ryan ended his long negotiation process with the Anaheim Ducks last night. Patric Hornqvist reached an amicable agreement with the Nashville Predators. If reports are correct, Marc Staal will follow suit with the New York Rangers.
Sportsnet’s Mike Brophy reports that Staal is nearing an agreement with the Rangers, but doesn’t provide any guesses on the term or financial details of the deal.
The New York Rangers and defenceman Marc Staal are said to be close to reaching an agreement that would keep the Thunder Bay, Ont. Native on Broadway.
Considering the fact that the team is about $84,000 above the salary cap without Staal’s contract according to CapGeek.com, it’s obvious someone might have to go to make room for the steady defensive defenseman. When you factor in his atrocious $6.5 million annual cap hit, it’s natural to wonder if Wade Redden will join the Cristobal Huet Memorial Getting Paid Not to Play in the NHL Club with Michael Nylander and other charter members.
Obviously, this is a rumor without much in details, but it’s reasonable to believe that Staal will want to get his contract settled before training camp begins. We’ll let you know if more information filters through.
(H/T to Patrick Hoffman.)
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 2
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)