Sep 8, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
It seems like most of the final restricted free agent dominoes are falling into place as training camps approach around the NHL. Bobby Ryan ended his long negotiation process with the Anaheim Ducks last night. Patric Hornqvist reached an amicable agreement with the Nashville Predators. If reports are correct, Marc Staal will follow suit with the New York Rangers.
Sportsnet’s Mike Brophy reports that Staal is nearing an agreement with the Rangers, but doesn’t provide any guesses on the term or financial details of the deal.
The New York Rangers and defenceman Marc Staal are said to be close to reaching an agreement that would keep the Thunder Bay, Ont. Native on Broadway.
Considering the fact that the team is about $84,000 above the salary cap without Staal’s contract according to CapGeek.com, it’s obvious someone might have to go to make room for the steady defensive defenseman. When you factor in his atrocious $6.5 million annual cap hit, it’s natural to wonder if Wade Redden will join the Cristobal Huet Memorial Getting Paid Not to Play in the NHL Club with Michael Nylander and other charter members.
Obviously, this is a rumor without much in details, but it’s reasonable to believe that Staal will want to get his contract settled before training camp begins. We’ll let you know if more information filters through.
(H/T to Patrick Hoffman.)
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)