Sep 8, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
It seems like most of the final restricted free agent dominoes are falling into place as training camps approach around the NHL. Bobby Ryan ended his long negotiation process with the Anaheim Ducks last night. Patric Hornqvist reached an amicable agreement with the Nashville Predators. If reports are correct, Marc Staal will follow suit with the New York Rangers.
Sportsnet’s Mike Brophy reports that Staal is nearing an agreement with the Rangers, but doesn’t provide any guesses on the term or financial details of the deal.
The New York Rangers and defenceman Marc Staal are said to be close to reaching an agreement that would keep the Thunder Bay, Ont. Native on Broadway.
Considering the fact that the team is about $84,000 above the salary cap without Staal’s contract according to CapGeek.com, it’s obvious someone might have to go to make room for the steady defensive defenseman. When you factor in his atrocious $6.5 million annual cap hit, it’s natural to wonder if Wade Redden will join the Cristobal Huet Memorial Getting Paid Not to Play in the NHL Club with Michael Nylander and other charter members.
Obviously, this is a rumor without much in details, but it’s reasonable to believe that Staal will want to get his contract settled before training camp begins. We’ll let you know if more information filters through.
(H/T to Patrick Hoffman.)
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 0
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 21
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 7
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)